Return of periods

I am very pleased to say that i am almost 6 years post diagnosis and was beginning to move on with my life. I finished taking Tamoxifen in August this year and saw that as the final hurdle however i have just taken a period after 5 1/2 years of nothing and not sure if this is normal or not. My cancer was Her2+ and i am now worried that this means that i am producing oestrogen again. Not sure what to do about this or who to speak to. Can anyone advise me?
Thanks
Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you’ll get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies could I suggest you give the helpline here a ring, they’re open today 10am - 2pm and will be only too happy to talk to you. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/periods-after-chemo-did-they-return-when

Here’s the link to that thread xxx

Hiya, I think you probably need to mention it to your GP or oncologist, just because nowadays, after BC, we have to mention everything to them! It’s possible that the tamoxifen kept them at bay (it’s an anti oestrogen and can affect your menstrual cycle) and they’ve reappeared after you’ve stopped taking it. I had the period from hell earlier this year though and because im on tamoxifen, they wanted to just check my womb lining was ok, as a thickening of your endometrium can be a side effect of tamoxifen. They just check it with an ultrasound scan like you have when you’re pregnant. There’s a thread in younger women about if your periods returned post chemo and when, and you’ll see that lots of ladies have kindly added their menstrual history post treatment to it. The upshot is that everybody seems to be different! Think it might make you feel better to read it. Xxx

hello Lesley
Iam also Her2+ I want to ask if you had treatmet?