Rib pain 6 months later

I had lumpectomy surgery in December before Christmas for DCIS 22 mm and radiotherapy in March for 1 week as I had high grade cells. I am 52 and am struggling with tiredness after activity and pains in my right breast. The last month I have started getting pain in my ribs below my breast and especially in my ribs on my side under my armpits. However, the DCIS was towards my chest bone lower quadrant. Should I call the breast care team at Poole hospital on the help line or should I discuss further investigation with my GP when I have an appointment for a check up on the 17 September? It is particularly sore in the morning when I wake up.

2 Likes

Hi I have had chest wall pain and two of my ribs are very painful.
This hasn’t really stopped ,I had radiotherapy in 2000.
They did a bone scan ct scan they picked up I had costochondritis .
I have been referred to pain clinic.
They are try i g acupuncture for 6 weeks every Monday started on Monday .
I also sleep on a very soft topper on my bed that helps .
Mention it next consultant visit .

I would call the oncologist. Just to check up. I have pain 3 years later on the radiated side below the armpit where ribs are. I’ve been assured everything is fine but it doesn’t feel good. My theory is once you are treated you aren’t ever really the same. Whether it’s breast surgery, brain surgery or a bunionectomy (I’ve had all those). Radiotherapy is a new experience for me though. Seems like it can’t help but make changes.

1 Like

Hi Imwimiborne
I would contact the breast care team to discuss with them and tell them that you have an appointment with your GP on 17th, then you have covered both and not regret contacting one or the other. I had a lump removed and a lymph gland December 2021 and then 10 days radiotherapy April 2022. Few months later I had pain in my ribs the same side as my breast cancer and I thought it might have happened after I used a scraper to defrost freezer few days earlier but could this movement really cause this much pain? After weeks of the pain getting worse I phoned the Breast Care Nurse just in case, she told me to rub with the Voltarol gel that I had and phone back if still pain in 2 weeks. Pain was not any better after over 2 weeks so I phoned back and she told me to see GP and tell receptionist that I had spoken to Breast care nurse. I saw GP straight away and although she could not feel anything when examining me she referred me for an urgent metabolic bone scan. The GP phoned me with result and said the scan showed something in my right breast which she could not explain. I was referred to an urgent cancer clinic where they do all tests the same day and tell you the results straight away. The mammogram showed that it was scarring after my breast operation and no cancer. The consultant said that he saw one or two cases a year but it was good news after months of nagging thoughts, was it the scraping movements that caused the pain or could it be cancer again. Needless to say when I needed a new freezer a few months later, the new one is frost free, just in case!

Hi there. I have something similar under my armpit area and alongside my breast. When I spoke to the nurse about this, she said this was very common after radiotherapy and may well spread to the area between my ribs lower down as time goes on. Another breast care nurse said you may well have discomfort up to a year and a half after radiotherapy (mine was last December). As mentioned in another post, mine is more noticable in the mornings when I wake up. I also have cording in that area, which may add to it! Hope it improves soon for you!

1 Like

Hi
The nurse’s on here will respond Monday ( they dont work weekends)

Strongly suggest you call your team and give them your symptoms in the meantime a hot flannel or microwave bean bag on the spot and try sleeping with a rolled up towel under your arm or elevate with a pillow

Take paracetamol and drink lots of water

Good luck

I had similar …contacted breast clinic …they checked me and said they were sure it wasn’t anything … but referred me for bone scan. And sure enough everything was fine. They said that the effects of radiotherapy can be felt up to 2 years. Worth checking though x

Hi @inwimborne

I have chest and rib pain after having radiotherapy in January this year, surgery was July 2023 with chemo and Herceptin in between.

The pain started a month after finishing radio and I spoke to my breast care nurse who referred me to a physio, the local team are not cancer trained. I was advised to continue with post surgery exercises with paracetamol and ibuprofen gel on the skin. It helped a bit, they also diagnosed nerve issue in my neck. I was offered stronger pain meds but they have side effects and I have enough of them already! I’m now 8 months on and my oncologist are now referring me to the cancer physio to see if there is more that can be done.

I’m in Wales but have heard that Bristol and Gloucestershire hospitals have a late effects radiotherapy service that is self referral, as side effects can happen months or years later. The gift that keeps on giving has been said. Could you see if that is something available to you locally?

I think a call to your breast team may also be beneficial, I have open access for life after my diagnosis. My GP is as the name suggests general practitioner and doesn’t fully understand breast cancer and the side effects and problems that can happen. I even had to chase my GP to have cholesterol test due to having Letrozole and they hadn’t heard of this. It was in the literature I was given on starting.

I hope you get some answers soon and some relief from the pain :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hello inwimborne.

Thanks for your post

Experiencing fatigue (extreme tiredness) after receiving treatment for breast cancer including DCIS is very common. It doesn’t always go away with rest or sleep and may affect you physically and emotionally. Many people find that they start to get their energy levels back as time passes after treatment, but for some fatigue can continue for months or sometimes years. The link above has information on managing fatigue

As you can see from the replies you have had radiotherapy can cause lasting or late effects in the treated area. You’ll see tenderness in the ribs can also occur. Rib pain may also be the result of musculoskeletal issues.

As you’ll also see from other posts you can ring the number you have for your treatment team at Poole hospital. They may arrange to see you or suggest waiting for your GP appointment on 17th September.

As well as the forums here, we have different support services where you can share your experiences with others who may have been through something similar. This includes our Someone Like Me and Moving forward services.

You may find taking regular pain relief such as paracetamol or an anti-inflammatory,(if you can take these) especially first thing in the morning might help.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.