Right to be worried? No lump(?)

Bit of background - 30 years old, 2 children (4 & 7), use contraceptive injection and don’t have periods, never had issues with hormones, had eczema as a small child (just a bit behind my ears).

I went to the doctors 11 days ago as my right nipple area has been really itchy and a bit sore looking (prbably from the itch) for a few weeks - I’d say longer than a month but not 2. In comparison to my left side, it is more shriveled looking, not defined circular (the areola) and more ‘stretched’ looking especially when I lift my arms. He had a grope and prescribed me with eczema cream to rule it out (even though not as sore looking as eczema), with a pre-booked appointment for 2 weeks after to see if any improvement. Anyway, over the weekend I noticed that on the bottom of areola there is an indent, like I’ve pressed with my thumb and it’s not come back, and is super smooth, does not go wrinkled like the rest of areola.

After noticing this additional change I went back last night, and he has referred me (didn’t examine me again) to my local hospital breast clinic.

The itch is sometimes just a tickly itch, but sometimes a sharp sting that makes me clasp my arm over it. I’ve had a good feel and not really sure what I’m feeling for, I can feel firm bumpy bits, but nothing that stands out as a defined lump that I’d expect.

I’m hoping someone with similar symptoms/experience can give me their experience, as this is on my mind constantly. Part of me thinks I’m wasting NHS time and it’s in my head, the other part of me is thinking that it’s not just me that can see the change and the itch is definately not in my head!

Hello Emis2109

Welcome to the forums,  I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon. 

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Thank you. Just had the call from hospital, my appointment is 25th so not too long to wait. She said I will see nurse, have scans and discuss results on the day with doctor/consultant. It’s all very real now.

Hi

I’ve had similar - with mine the indent looked like someone had pressed there little finger along the side of the areola and like yours it’s smooth

I didn’t get an explanation - the consultant said she couldn’t see it and it was the wrong type of indentation!

I hope you got on OK with your appointment and got some good news.  

Sandra