Rollercoaster of emotions

Hi I’m new to this board and was just looking for a friendly ear or two to help me as I really don’t want to worry my family yet. I found a little lump, like a tiny pea, on the right side of my breast, a couple of weeks ago. It’s very close to the skin and I can pinch it and roll it around. I went to my doctor today to get it checked and she called it a discrete lump but didn’t offer any other information. As I lost my mum to breast cancer when I was very young she has sent me for a full screening. I’m really scared and I guess a lot of it is not knowing what’s coming next. Can anyone tell me what happens next please. My mum was diagnosed at a late stage and I was shattered when she died, I still miss her now and I’m so scared I’ll leave my kids without a mum and cause them the same pain . I know I’m probably being a bit overdramatic but I just feel so uncertain at the moment. Thanks for reading this. Dee xx

Hi Quizzle

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of knowledge between them.

In the meantime you may find it useful to contact our free helpline on 0808 800 6000, opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 – 2.00.

best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Dee

Hang in tight on that roller coaster. You are right to have the lump checked out, specially given your family history. As everyone on here will tell you, this stage is the worst, not knowing but imagining all sorts of scenarios is so hard.
My advice is that you should speak to the helpline as they are so helpful and supportive, dont scope the internet as theres so much unhelpful info out there and come on here to sk any questions-wev’e all been there and there is no such thing as a daft question.
Best of luck with the next stage of the process, hopefully it should be within the 2 week deadline and that you get good news.
Cathie xx

Hi Dee,

Welcome, sorry you need to find yourself on this forum.
Sorry, to hear about your Mum. Finding a lump must bring back all the awful memories.
However you’ve done the right thing by going to the doctor straight away. It may be something harmless, but even if not, it sounds as though it is still quite small, so should be at an early stage.
I don’t know about your area, but many hospitals have a one stop shop where you go and they can do mammogram, ultras sound and biopsy and usually let you know one way or the other straight away. You should have an appointment to be screened within a fortnight of being seem by your GP.
It is a worrying time while you’re waiting. Try to keep busy to keep your mind of it.
Let us know how you get on. Even if it is not the news you want, you will feel a bit better when you know what you are dealing with and have a treatment plan.

Good luck. Stella xx

HI Dee,
I really don’t think you are being overdramatic - you are like many of us - worried until you know what the pea size lump actually is. The waiting and imagining is much the worst , so I hope you have a good one stop shop near you where you can get the answer fairly quickly.
Hope the RW offers you some distraction !! I took to wine in a big way when I was waiting - maybe not that helpful but it did distract me! Be good to yourself and take care,
Nicola

Thank you so much everybody!

I feel much better just knowing there is someone out there I can share things with without worrying my nearest and dearest at this point. Thanks for the welcome June and I’ll certainly be chatting to the helpline as soon as my hubby and kiddies are out. Cathie, you’re right, scaring myself by reading all the rubbish information out there is not a good idea! Stella, keeping busy has really helped me this afternoon, my kitchen is gleaming and Nicola, I already have a large glass of wine in my hand!

Thanks again everyone, I’ll keep my fingers crossed the appointment isn’t too far away so I can move forward one way or another.

Dee xx

Hello again, I had my appointment confirmed this morning and am going to have all my tests on Thursday 5th May, my wedding anniversary! Obviously feeling really nervous but reading through all the posts on this forum from the most amazing women makes me realise I will cope with whatever happens. I just wish I could stop my hand from moving to my lump every five minutes, I seem to be doing it without even thinking now!

Thanks again to everyone for listening to me, it is such a comfort to know I can share this with people who really understand.

Dee xx

Good luck Dee - will be thinking of you -Melx

Dee, please come back and let us know how you get on. You might want to look at the Publications part of this site, particularly the very early ones which talk about what might happen at the breast clinic.

Remember the good stats, that around 9 out of 10 referrals to clinics turn out NOT to be cancer at all.

Well here I am, up at stupid o’clock on the day of my appointment! Thank you for the messages of good luck and the pointer to the leaflet about the breast clinic, that was really helpful. I’m actually feeling quite calm about this morning despite the early start. I think I just need to know what I’m dealing with and move away from the uncertainty. I’ll post later with an update.

Dee xx

Good luck Dee,

will be crossing everything for you & thinking of you today .xxxx

Good News! The doctor examined me this morning and found a cyst which he drained there and then. I also had a mammogram which the radiographer was happy with although I had to repeat it on one breast when something suspicious was seen but it turned out to be my skin folded over on itself, ouch! Given my age (44)and family history he’s advised regular mammograms and a follow up appointment in 8 weeks but it looks positive at the moment.

Thank you again to everyone who posted messages of support and I hope that my story may be of some comfort to others who might be in the same position as I am. I’ve signed up to run a Race for Life today, I may puff and pant my way around it but want to do something for those, including my dear mum and all you wonderful ladies, who have had breast cancer or are at risk of developing it in the future.

Thank you again everyone for being there when I needed you. Dee xx

That was some roller coaster- very happy for you that it was a cyst.
All the best for the future
Diana

YAY!!!