Scar cream

Hi ladies,

Have recently had check up after recon. Had been rubbing vit e oil onto front and back scars twice a day. The consultant i saw said it needed more moisturising,three or four times a day, so recommended E45 moisturising cream (none of my consultants recommend bio oil by the way).
Having bought the E45, i discovered it contains parabens. I now don,t know what to do and am loathe to rub this into my skin 3/4 times a day.
Any advice ladies?
Thanks,
Rosie x

I was advised to use Dermatix gel by the plastics team.Its expensive but seems to be good.You can also get it in gel sheets to reduce scars.I don’t like bio oil and never use E45.I am always amazed how often it is recommended.
Mind you its hard to find things without parabens.How about pure aloe vera?

Thanks Dotchas,

I will look into the Dermatix gel. There are probably paraben free moisturisers in places like Holland and Barrett. I def won,t be using the E45 on my scars now.

Rosie x

I just checked out the Dermatix website and it says you get get it on prescription. Might be worth asking your Doc?

Yes I got mine on prescription.You only use a tiny bit so it does last for ages.
There is a paraben free moistuiser called Diprobase that you can buy (I think)or get on prescription.I got a huge tub with a pump thing on the top once from my GP when I had a very strange rash.He told me not to use E45.
Good luck
Dot
xxx

Yes, I recently discovered that E45 contains parabens, now that I have started to read the labels. I was really surprised as I assumed this would be safe. I had recently bought the large size, as well!

I don’t know about you, but I shall have to get some really strong reading glasses, because the print on the labels is SO tiny that I can’t read all the long chemical names when I am out shopping.

Ann x

Hi ladies,

Thanks for all the info. I priced the Dermatix at Boots and it was 29.99! I will be heading down to my doctors next week! I will also check out the Diprobase. Ann, you made me laugh about reading the labels. I have prescription glasses that i need to bring out for occasions like that. Its so irritating isn,t it?

Thanks again,
Rosie x

Hehehe! I need to take my glasses off now to read!
Dot
x

I don’t know if this will help - I had double mx and as soon as I was told I could use something other than E45 or aqueous cream after my radiotherapy I switched to organic coconut oil. I have used this as a moisturiser for body for last 2 years anyway after seeing someone talking about it on tv.
When you buy it, unless the weather is very hot, it is solidified. I get mine either from a health food shop or Waitrose (I use the Biona make as I like organic). It’s about £5 for a smallish jar but lasts a long time. As soon as you put some on your skin it starts to melt and it’s a fantastic moisturiser. My skin post rads improved in days once I started using it.
Elinda x

Hi Elinda,

Thats very interesting. I bought some coconut oil back in 2007, because I had heard somewhere it stimulated hair to grow back, so i used to rub into my head. I don,t know how true that is, my hair would probably have grown back on its own anyway! However, its now out of date so i will buy some more.

Rosie x

What did your consultants say against Bio Oil? I’ve always found it really good and used it on my scars. Also use it on my son’s eczema as it’s the only thing I’ve found that doesn’t sting.

I have just started using Bio-Oil, prescribed by my GP and recommended by my surgeon. I bought some cheap stuff that gave me a horrible red rash.The Bio- Oil hasn’t given me a rash but am going off it if it’s full of nasties

Looking at the ingredients of Bio oil, this is what l found!!Liquidum Paraffinum is an exotic sounding way to say mineral oil (!!) See Mineral
Petroleum by-product that coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin’s ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH’s (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons). Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.
Mineral oil
Liquidum paraffinum (also known as posh mineral oil!)
Paraffin oil
Paraffin wax
Petrolatum
My breast care nurse told me not to use bio oil, l never asked why!
Sandra

i have been using bio oil and lymphoedema therapist commented on how good my skin was and said “it must be a very good product” If you look at bio orl website you might find it interesting re the addition of pure cellin oil to make it more absorbable than it would be… to be fair they dont mention the pataffin oil much!

Hi Tressane,

My consultant didn’t recommend bio oil because he said quite a few of his patients found it irritated their skin.
I did get the dermatix from my gp, and use this along with pure vit e oil from holland and barratts.

Rosie x