Scared about bleeding

If it’s not one thing it’s another. I thought all my problems were over and done with and that now I could get on with life. Long story, had a period that was 3 weeks late last June and accompanied by awful hot flushes for 2 weeks. It stopped, so did the flushes and then no more periods. Result, I thought!! Something has been straightforward for me.

Then, 5 months later, just before I had my expanders removed, I started a period. Great!! Just what I needed whilst undergoing surgery. That was on November 24th, surgery was on November 28th. When I woke up the bleeding had got heavier but I thought it was probably due to being given Clexane and thought no more of it. It stopped after 10 days. I then spotted on and off until December 13th when I started what I thought was another period, admittedly earlier than I would have expected. By Christmas Day it was really heavy and so painful that I had to go to bed with a hottie, instead of going out visiting. The same on Boxing Day. And it hasn’t stopped. Every couple of days it gets a bit lighter and then it gets REALLY heavy again. I’m now anaemic and waiting to see a Gynaecologist on Tuesday (13th).

I’m not on any hormonal treatment, no Zoladex, no Tamoxifen, nothing! But I’m starting to get very worried now. I’m a Practice Nurse and know that this is not normal and not a good sign, or perhaps I’m just worrying unnecessarily about worst case scenarios.

I was just hoping to go back to work and this has happened. I’d been offered a new job but don’t feel it would be fair to start a new job and then start asking for time off for appointments, tests etc. The new employer was fine about the cancer but then it looked like I’d only be going for my regular check-ups etc.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to get it off my chest!

Trudie.

Hi Trudie

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment. Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their advice and experiences you may find it helpful to talk this through with one of our trained members of staff on the BCC helpline. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)