Scared of feelings

Brief history in 2017 I was treated for breast cancer. Now my brother-in law has just been told he is on palliative care as of today. Since we were told he could have cancer which was only two weeks ago. I have been having panic attacks and nightmares that its me going through it again. Is this normal I can’t shake this feeling. I feel so guilty and not very helpful in giving any support to my husband and sister-in law. It isn’t helping waking up from the nightmares and being exhausted.

2 Likes

Hi @Saphire,

I’m really sorry to hear about your brother-in-law’s diagnosis. That must be so difficult for your family to go through, and it’s no surprise that it’s uprooting your anxieties as well. What you’re feeling is totally normal but you don’t need to go through it alone. Our nurses are always here to listen and support you and are only a phone call away on 0808 800 6000. The forum will also be here for you every step of the way :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much Alice, you have helped a lot with your reply knowing it’s a normal feeling. The symptoms of his cancer has come on so quick. My nephew was told at the hospital after a scan to let him go home for palliative care with his mum. His test results still haven’t arrived it will be another 4 weeks before they do come through. We are all in total shock. I will contact the nurses if I can’t control this anxiety. I need to keep a clear head for my husband’s sake, it’s not just about me this time.

Totally understand. I’m 5 years on and was doing ok then recently had a routine blood test which threw me into panic mode because of the terminology on results and they mistakenly thought I had a serious heart issue . Now taking beta blockers . We do our best but we are traumatised for ever really and should be more provision for mental health

1 Like

Thank you Susan, no nightmares last night and had a good nights sleep, which has helped tremendously… The trauma of having cancer never goes away, there is a place in the mind that is alway on high alert of it coming back. We never get the definitive of it being cured we are only in remission maybe 5,10, 20, 30yrs. Hopefully one day there is a cure. :heart::heart:

Sending you a big hug :hugs:!

1 Like

Hope so we’ve come a long way but none of us can say we are cured … probably because we are not tbh

1 Like