Scared to have second round of chemo after getting neuteopenic sepsis

Hi all
I have just come out of hospital after having neuteopenic sepsis from my first round of chemo. Joyous! My oncologist is now reducing my dose by 20% and giving me four doses of Filgrastram injections rather than the one off peg filgrastram which didn’t work for me. However I am completely terrified of the same thing happening again. Has this happened to anyone else? Any tips? Xx

2 Likes

:heart: newbie1, I’ve replied on another thread you’ve posted on with my personal experience :heart: and I’m sure other will pop on too with their experiences :two_women_holding_hands: :heart: it has happened to quit a few of us over the years here :heart: you can always ring the bcn number here too and speak to a nurse :heart: we’re all here and we will help you get through and your team will get you through safely :heart: you are vigilant which is main thing and you got antibiotics and you kept vigilant after finishing those which is main thing :heart: always ring your rapid response number as you have if something doesn’t feel right even without a temperature :heart: :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

@newbie1
Thats so unfair to get it on your first round. I experienced it on round 5.
The doctors reduced my 6th round to 80% and although I did end up back in hospital with low neutrophils, I didn’t get sepsis.

I think its good your after injections will be different, as will your chemo dose, so hopefully that means the end result will be different too. Even if not, you will be much more tuned in and would likely escalate concerns earlier meaning quicker detection.
You got this!!
Laura

2 Likes

Hi, I experienced this on my 1st round of docetaxyl (4th round of total sessions) despite 7 days of filgastrim injections, the oncologist kept my dose at 100% for the next 2 rounds with the 7 day injections which I am doing for the last time now.
I was also terrified about it happening again and did end up in hospital a second time but this time was just a lovely virus passed on by my children!
It’s a scary thing but please don’t worry yourself, listen to your body, rest up and keep yourself away from busy places for the week after and fingers crossed you will sail through the next round x x

2 Likes

Yes this has happened to me on day 7 of round 5 and the oncologist did reduce the dose by 20% on the next round. I had a lot of tests whilst in the hospital, and because my fever was not so high, was hoping I would be discharged in the evening, but, because of the low white blood cell counts I was kept overnight. No infection was found but I was still put on a broad spectrum antibiotic overnight and then given more antibiotics to take home. On round 6 I developed a fever again and this time it was COVID caught from my husband!

1 Like

Thanks Laura, oddly I’m only having four injections but maybe dose is higher :tipping_hand_woman:x

1 Like

Ah thanks for coming back. Although miserable for you it is somewhat reassuring to think this is something that can and does happen. X

1 Like

Winchester hospital were so on it and I was on iv within an hour and bloods back very quickly. Was bit bleak as never nice thinking you have sepsis but tried to be practical and just think it’s another name for an infection and that it’s only dangerous until neutrophils go back up x

2 Likes