scared

hi,im 44 and last year had a mascectomy,i am thinkin about havin recon i dont want to go through life with one boob but i am really scared to have another op,the consultant said i could have muscle from my back and an implant,is there any good stories out there or bad love to hear from you thanks dawnie xxxxx

Dawnie
I had a different recon op to the one suggested for you, but wanted to tell you that it is the best thing I could have done, I’ve never ever regretted it and would do it again like a shot. No op is without problems and discomfort, but the psychological lift I got from it was just fantastic.
best of luck xxx

Hi Dawn

I’m sorry I can’t help with your question but I just wanted to say ‘hi’ as I know both of us are ER- PR+ and there aren’t many of us about! Take care. Love xxx

Hi Dawnie
I had a mastectomy and DIEP flap recon last Tuesday. It is is a big op and not the same as suggested to you, but I am thrilled with my new breast and got a flat tummy into the bargain. I am happy to answer any questions.
Jacqui

Hi dawnie

As well as the information and advice you are receiving from the other forum users you might find it useful to have a look at the Breast Cancer Care booklet on reconstruction, it has details on the range of different reconstructions available. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/bcc_reconstruction_v4_FINAL.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi Dawnie

I’ll keep this brief, but I have had two LD flaps (separate operations) and am THRILLED with the result. The first op was to construct a breast following mastectomy, and the second op was the only option available to me to achieve symmetry on the healthy breast which had previously had all the breast tissue removed.

As with any operation, there is bound to be discomfort, but it was short-lived and for me it has been worth it very much indeed.

I would say, however, that not all surgeons give the same results, so ensure you make adequate enquiries and ask to see photographs etc before proceeding. It’s your body, after all.

Bubs x

Hi Dawnie
I had an ld flap recon with implant back in March. It all went really well and i was pleased with the results until I go an infection. It was just one of those things and the implant had to come out. I now have a smaller breast on that side made up from the tissue, fat and muscle from my back and on September 10th im having the implant put back in now that its all settled down. Despite the problems that I had im really pleased with how its all gone.
The one thing I was surprised with that nobody mentioned was the backache where they had taken the muscle away. I found a hot water bottle helped alot with this.
any questions then pm me and I will be happy to chat.

best of luck

deed
x

Hi Dawnie,

I understand how scared you are, I was in your position. I had a mastectomy at 44 in 2007, and finally had an LD flap in February this year. I am still only part way through the process, as I am only a AA and we weren’t sure whether to go for an implant or just a fat transfer, so I had the skin & muscle moved from my back to my chest, but nothing else so far. I have since decided to go down the implant route, with an implant in my other side too, and am currently waiting for a date for that.

So far it has gone well, and I have recovered well. I was off work for six weeks (I have a part time desk job), I was very tired at first, but feel absolutely fine now. So far I am pleased that I have done this, just crossing my fingers that the implant stage goes as well.

Beforehand, I was worried about a loss of strength in my shoulder/back, the PS said it would not affect my running or swimming (he was right) but he was concerned about my church bellringing, and thought that might be affected. Well it’s not - I have stuck to ringing the lighter bells since my mastectomy anyway, and have had no problems.

So from my experience so far, I would say go for it, just make sure you have a good PS and not a breast surgeon.

xx

Thankyou ladies,you have helped alot,i dont think im havin the op till jan so have got abit of time to think aboyt it. hi,swishmiss, im doin fine once ive got this recon out of the way,hope your well xxxxx