Scared!

Firstly, let me apologise. I’ve just wrote a new thread but don’t think it posted properly so if this has posted twice I’m sorry!
When I was 18/19 I found a lump in my left boob (on left side, in line with nipple). It just felt like a little bump but because I was young and naive I didn’t do a thing about it. Over the years the lump has come and gone - at times I’ve had a prod around and been unable to feel it and other times it’s noticeable. This has been the cycle for the past 20 years - I’m 39 now. My boobs have always been very sensitive but the area in which the lump is, is not painful. It’s here at the moment and for some reason I’m very concious of it. I’ve had a stressful few months and been highly anxious so maybe this is why. It’s quite deep down and on the surface it feels like a little lump but if you grab it, it feels like dense tissue and quite large. I’ve had a prod around and It’s bigger than I initially thought and this has scared the poo out of me! I want to make a doctor appointment for peace of mind but by doing that I have to admit that maybe something is wrong. I’m not looking for people to say I haven’t got BC but really would value your comments and opinions. Thank you. xx

Hi Meche

I think deep down that you already know the answer - Take a deep breath, pick up the phone, make that GP appointment and get a referral to the breast clinic.

If you don’t you will spend time worrying - probably needlessly.

Your lump needs checking out - it may still be benign - or it may now have a ‘nasty’ alongside it. You either need to know once and for all that it’s OK, or if not, get treated sooner rather than later. 9 out of 10 lumps aren’t cancer and I hope that yours is one of the 9.

Good luck

Hi Meche

Maybe it would also help to talk things over with someone on our helpline. They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi meche, I too found a lump myself about 6 weeks ago, I kept prodding about at it etc but after going through a cycle realising it wasn’t changing I decided to go to the doctors, I must admit, before I went to the docs I really wasn’t too fussed and completely thought nothing of, bt to be honest since I’ve been, and been referred to the breast clinic next Thursday I have become petrified, so don’t be alarmed if this happens, I can’t think of anything else, from the minute I get up til when I go to bed its all that’s on my mind.
I think it’s only natural to feel worried, and like you say once you go to the doctors it’s like admitting something might be wrong, but in my mind I thought, if I leave this and it turned into the worst possible outcome I would never forgive myself.
Please make an appointment with your GP, I’m trying to tell myself that 9 times out of 10 it’s nothing etc, but if ever it turned out to be something sinister at least treatment can start etc.
Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

Well ladies - the deed is done! I should feel reassued but still feel a bit anxious by it all. I have been referred but that’s routine procedure. They have to treat all lumps as potential cancer. She firstly said something I’ve had for so many years is highly unlikely to be cancerous - phew! Secondly, after having a good feel she determined that it’s 2cm in diameter, round and smooth, firm but not hard, not attached to anything and it moves around. It’s not a cyst but she called it a Fibrodenomas - also known as a ‘breast mouse’ because of it’s mobility. They can grow up to 5cm. All my other surrounding breast tissue feels normal as is my right boob. She said she was most certainly not worried and neither should I be. So now I just have to psyche myself up for an ultrascan. Thank you so much for your advise and support ladies. I don’t know any of your own personal stories but whatever you are each going through I wish you all the very best.

I have fibroadenomas too, the ultrasound doesn’t hurt and if you ask the person doing it they talk you through what is on the screen, understanding what you’re seeing helps. When I had my first scan the guy said he was 90% sure it was a fibroadenoma and I could choose to biopsy it or wait to see what the conultant thought and maybe come back for a biopsy if they thought it was necessary, I chose to have it done there and then. They numb the area before they take the sample so all you feel is a tugging sensation, the weirdest bit was putting my bra back on after, I couldn’t feel my boob… I took a friend to sit with me in the waiting room because I think my mum would have been quite emotional, and she kept me talking about everything but where we were, so definitely try to get someone to go with you, it’ll keep your mind off everything
Good luck, and trust me when I say do NOT Google! xxx

Thank you Sailor Girl. I already made the mistake of googling & scared myself senseless! HUGE mistake. Mind you, that was before I went to the doctor so now I know what I might be dealing with I feel a bit better. It really hasn’t stopped me worrying though. I’ve felt really sick on/off since last night & lost my appetite so I’m automatically thinking OMG - that must be the cancer! I’m convincing myself I feel ill & it makes me feel ashamed because there are genuinely ill women out there. There is still a chance for me & I should be grateful. I’ve had my lump for so long now so that is in my favour. Also, I can barely feel it today. My doctor had a good prod around & I’m certain it’s moved or seems smaller. My boob has felt a bit sore though. Strange! When do you get your results? Thank you so much for your kind words. xx

The thing with Googling is it doesn’t tell you that the majority of women will have some kind of benign tumour at some point in their lives, especially when they are young, but would never know because they don’t check themselves. You’ve at least kept track of it.
Having it for a long time is a really good sign, and they can change size depending on your hormone levels. Mine first one was diagnosed in january after an ultrasound and biopsy and they offered right away to remove it if I wanted but I had just watched my mum recover from a mastectomy so I was really anti surgery. In June I realised it had grown so I went back to the hospital in a calmer frame of mind having decided I wanted it out. They found three more during the ultrasound to check the size. So I’ve decided to have them all removed, my mum’s BC wasn’t genetic but I’m not taking any chances of something growing in behind one of them, I can only feel two of them anyway so I’m doing it for peace of mind. Mine can be painful too, I find stretching my arms above my head and behind my back can aggravate it and I don’t normally suggest pill popping but a low dose paracetemol tablet can take the edge off. Heat helps as well, a shower or hot water bottle, or one of those reusable hand warmers, you can get them in hiking/camping shops, tucked into your bra if you’re at home and need to be moving round.
Re the food thing, I was off my food for weeks between finding it and getting the diagnosis so my boyfriend slow cooked me meals so the smells would encourage my appetite. Treat yourself with your favourite foods, if you can’t pamper yourself when you’re scared when can you? xxx

Thank you. Mine is just one big lump about 2cm diameter. Neither myself or doctor can find or feel any others. I guess an ultrascan will pick that up. It’s definitely moved today - I have to prod deeper to feel it. I think I’m still going through an initial shock thing at the moment - I mean things like this just don’t happen to me… they shouldn’t happen to anyone! I think I’ll be ok in a day or 2. My lump got really big last year & naively I ignored it. I was worried sick then too but then I just put it to the back of my mind. I don’t want to do that anymore. Want peace of mind once & for all. xx

Hi ladies, Just an update from me. I went for my ultrascan and biopsy on Tuesday and I’m pleased to say I got the all clear. I have a fibroadenoma measuring 2 x 3cm. The needle biopsy was a bit uncomfortable but not as bad I thought. All my other breast tissue is normal. I have the option to have it removed but because it’s been there for so long they are leaving it. They have assured me it will not turn cancerous and only to go back if I find it getting bigger or notice any other changes. Thank you so much ladies for all your support. I don’t know much about your personal experiences but I wish you all the luck in the world with whatever each of you are dealing with. xx

So glad to hear you’re fine, good luck in the future xx