Second lump and pain

Hi all

I found a lump in my right breast 2 years ago, upper outer part, breast clinic did scan and biopsy, results 1.3cm fibroadenoma. My right breast is very lumpy ive been checking regularly and i get a lot of pain in the fibro, like sharp stabbing pain. My right breast is also tender and achey all over upto armpit. It feels much thicker and lumper.

I saw gp last week who examined me and found another lump in the same breast but underneath. Im due at breast clinic tuesday so possibly another biopsy. GP said she isnt personally concerned but has to be checked.

Im worrying that the biopsy could have been wrong 2 years ago, what are the chances?

Im 34 year old single mum to autistic child & finding this hard, worrying is what i do best. My last biopsy really made my breast lumpy and the wait for results is horrendous.

What makes GPs not converned when they feel a lump?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Gracej
I know it’s worrying wait until Tuesday I’m sure all those questions will be answered and put your mind at rest , or speak to one if the nurses on the forum it’s awful having this hanging over you I know how you feel it’s the dreaded fear of cancer
I wish you luck for Tuesday x

Hi @GraceJ

I can understand you’re anxious about the lump but until you know try not to worry. I know it’s hard not to and you think of the what if’s, especially with your children.

I found a lump in my right breast last April and was referred for a mammogram, and then called back to see the breast surgeon 3 weeks later for ultrasound and biopsy. I was advised that until a biopsy was done and tested nobody would give a diagnosis. It took until mid May for that and then I had a MRI for sizing and they found a second tumour on the left breast.

I didn’t get any pain in the breasts before diagnosis.

I’m not trying to scare you but to explain that until you are diagnosed you won’t know. After the diagnosis it has been a rollercoaster of surgery, chemo and Herceptin (which continues until September), Letrozole for 5 years and Zolendronic acid infusions 6 monthly for 3 years. It is ‘curative’ but it’s 18 months of active treatment.

The BCN nurses are available tomorrow morning or Monday if you would like to talk to someone before your appointment.

• Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.
  • Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer

The person I saw at the GP surgery was a physican associate which are not qualified doctors and have 2 years of training. She told me not to worry as the lump felt smooth with no irregular edges which is what they would expect from a tumour. However the breast surgeon dismissed this saying there is no one size fits all in breast lumps and the biopsy and testing is the only real diagnostic test.

I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and hope that the lump is nothing to worry about. Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi, when I was checked by the GP’s nurse she said it felt normal but she’d send me for a check up anyway. Then the breast surgeon’s registrar (read apprentice) had a feel and said ‘it feels very benign’. It wasn’t. I am not sure if they do this to stop us from panicking but personally I’d rather they were frank. Even biopsies are not that accurate. I don’t know what the chances of them being wrong are but mine did not identify the full problem, I was told I had DCIS. My invasive lobular cancer was not properly identified until they had the lump under the microscope. I really would rather they said they don’t know, until they do know, that would be so much more professional than guessing and then saying ‘oh sorry we got that wrong’ . Waiting is horrendous but for me the changing diagnosis as my tests etc progressed was just as stressful. Try to find distractions for yourself and someone you can talk to/at. They will get to the bottom of it and they will develop a plan for you as the information emerges on what is going on for you. You just need to try to keep your head together. I have my fingers tightly crossed for you xx

Thanks all for replying, i’m the same would rather they were completely honest. My appointment is 6.10 this evening.
I should feel assured somewhat that the mass i found in july 2022 was biopsied and was a fibroadenoma however I’m also thinking, what if that was wrong and its been growing/spreading all this time, now i have another lump in the same breast, pain in and around the lumps and armpit.

The whole area of my right breast is lumpy and sore to touch, GP says its very nodular. Its been that way for many years but definitely more painful now.

We shall see, I’m pretty sure ill be having a biopsy, i dont want one but its the best thing to do, and go from there. I’m going away on holiday in 2 weeks though so i kind of dont want the results if its bad news, been waiting a long time for this holiday :tired_face: not sure what to do x

1 Like

Hope the appointment went well tonight. If I remember rightly the biopsy results were 2/4 weeks as I had to wait for a second test. So hopefully you will be able to enjoy your holiday before finding out. Hopefully your holiday will be a nice distraction from all of this.

Thinking of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi thought i would update, i had breast exam and ultrasound, fully prepared for another biopsy but it wasnt needed! Apparently the lump my GP felt was not actually a lump but jusy breast tissue, praise the lord! My original fibroadenoma from 2022 has grew from 1.3cm to 1.5cm, but no concerns at all on ultrasound, doctor was very happy to discharge me. Feeling super blessed tonight & going to enjoy our holiday that little bit more!

X

So pleased for you.

Have a wonderful holiday :desert_island:

1 Like