Secondary Breast cancer - support for partners

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum today and firstly wanted to let you know that all of those affected by breast cancer are in my thoughts.

For me this is all very new, after my partner of 8 years received a diagnosis of breast Cancer in June and a month later discovered it had spread to her spine.  It has been a devastatiing shock for us both to process and treatment has not been particualry effective as it is triple negative and therefore hard to treat.  Whilst we are trying to remain positive about treatment options I am finding it so tough.  She is such a strong woman and is fighting all the way.  I am right by her side fighting and staying strong but I feel so helpless and scared of what we have to face. 

Despite everything i do feel very priviledged to have a close and supportive relationship with my partner, family and friends.  I know there are people out there going through this struggle alone. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I would like to connect with others going through similar difficulties to act as mutual support. 

Best Wishes to all

Katie x

Hi K ,if you scroll down in this section you will find a link to the " someone like me " service offered by breast cancer care - if you are interested it links you up with someone in a similar situation to yourself to offer some support The secondary cancer section of the forum is also quite a busy one - if you post there you will also get advice and support …Best wishes Jill.

Hi Katie ,I’m sorry they cannot offer you anything at present time .The secondary ladies are a lovely bunch - I’m sure they will be able to offer some support /advice .Maybe your partner could have a look with you.I will ask felllow Community Champions to look out for you both .Jill.

Hello ktred
Sorry u are not having much luck with support …I think u would be best to join us on bone mets …please join in …all secondary ladies meet there and a lot of helpful banter and good advice offered too.
It’s always hard to watch a loved one go through all this …I’m a secondary lady myself and still don’t really know what my hubby and kids are going through as they always smile and hide their fears in front of me.
BUT I lost my mum in 1975 to bc …I was only young and watched her suffer for 7 years …I guess at 21 I didn’t really understand then how ill she was and thought a few pills would sort her out ! Treatments are better now and I’m sure the best plan will be put into place for your partner …in the meantime you can just be there …listen and offer kindness to her …
Hugs xx

Hi Katie,

Just been reading though your messages and wondered if you’re still active on here.

I am going through something similar to you so if you are still looking to connect with others for mutual support, do let me know.

All the best

Hi Katie,

My partner was diagnosed with primary triple-negative breast cancer just over a year ago and only recently this has progressed to secondary breast cancer of the liver. So whilst the secondary cancer is in a different part of the body, our situations are very similar.

We’ve just started our secondary journey and are very much in limbo-land learning as we go, however, my partner is in recovery from a procedure that essentially killed the cancer cells in her liver. It’s far from over but as positive a first step as I can imagine in our new secondary cancer world.

Hope you are ok. I just wanted to reach out and say hey.

Ella

P.S. Have you contacted your local Maggies Centre? They are a fabulous support to me and my partner right now.