September 2024 chemo starters

Yes you are. I got a 2nd opinion from The Marsden Surrey last time and had 2 ops there. My consultant there is on sabbatical until June as he was amazing.

3 Likes

Hi folks, 39, grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma here, ER+, her2 -. Mastectomy + ANC on 22nd July, EC-T chemo starting 3rd September. Iā€™ve really held it all together until this week, got the mindset of just get on with it - then I found a lump under my affected arm where the nodes were cleared. Went in, got scanned & they think itā€™s a cist but had never seen anything like it so are testing it to confirm (they donā€™t think itā€™s more cancer!). But for some reason this has pushed me over the edge & now Iā€™m not sleeping. Woke up this morning feeling SO ILL. Do any of you wise ladies whoā€™ve been here before know what happens if Iā€™m ill by the time chemo starts? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

@sunshineandunicorns iā€™m sorry you are going through such a testing time. Enough to push anyone over the edge. The not sleeping is awful, when they said they were doing an DX Oncotype test which would take 2 weeks, my husband and i went straight to Tui and booked a week in Rhodes, we got the result the day we got back, but while we were away we slept for the first time properly in months! And we really needed it too, weā€™ve been in a permanent state of stress since Easter. I dont know the answer to your question, all i know is i read they need to start chemo 90 days from your surgery date for it to be effective. Can you call your team and speak to someone?

2 Likes

@Linda_Corinne
same side

1 Like

My op was on the right initially where the cancer was and then the left for symmetry. Chemo can be delayed if need be. Iā€™ve always had it first. Sorry not much help. They will tell you if OK to start chemo or not though. I have a nurse assessment on Tuesday so she will check youā€™re happy to proceed no doubt as they wonā€™t want any issues after you start. You can get a message to the oncologist through their secretary. Thereā€™s also nurses on here you can contact or your BCN.

2 Likes

A friend of mine who has been through it shared her Chemo Essentials list. Iā€™m busy buying stuff and making up a bag to take in on hospital days.
Sorry its so small, but i thought you ladies might find it useful.

5 Likes

Morning ladies, ECG and meet with oncologist again today. Just thought Iā€™d let you know that if you are planning to cold cap, there is a Facebook group that is well worth joining. Had some fabulous advice and hopeful stories on there. UK girls on there all advised Simple shampoo and conditioner as the one recommended. Also this Tangle Teaser brush is amazing! Superdrug, Boots, M&S, Amazon Ā£10-14 but well worth it.

4 Likes

I got Avveno shampoo and conditioner and have started using it (2 wks prior), am on another fb group for coldcapping and got the dark pink detangling brush (straihjt hair) from Superdrug which seems OK but having a short trendy cut tomorrow but no colour which would have been a good idea as canā€™t face a no.8 again due to it matting. Iā€™ve ordered silk pillowcases and water based black nail varnish. Next appointment is for an echo on Friday. Iā€™ll get some marigolds too and have dug out my stuff for my eyelashes that I used last time. I can tell you the name if interested. Also got a dentist appt. Got a follow up appointment on Monda and a nuse assessment Tuesday then PICC line and 1st treatment Friday 6th.

2 Likes

Hi Linda-Corinne, where did you find water based nail polish? Im really struggling to find any!

2 Likes

9ml Orly Instant Artist Water-Based Paint For Nail Art Choose Colour on Ebay. I just googled it but have read cuticle oil works but nail varnish doesnā€™t. It didnā€™t work last time but I didnā€™t use water based. Also just thought a tip I saw for cold capping is put your parting in different places each time.

2 Likes

@Linda_Corinne
Its worse than trying to pack for a holiday trying to make sure every base is covered and nothing forgotten :rofl: ive also got hair cut tomorrow and a scarf tying workshop and dentist friday.
Saw oncologist today to sign consent, ask any more questions, met one of the nurses. Bloods and ecg all fine and we are good to go! Bring on Monday!
I think itā€™s really rubbish that my husband canā€™t come in with me, just for the first round. What a horrible thing to have to go through on my own :cry:
I still need to get a silk pillow case.
My hubby and i sat and watched the Amy Dowden doco together and had a few more tears.

3 Likes

Ah great thank you! Will get some ordered. Things are getting a bit real now, just over a week to go!

2 Likes

Not been told that as having PICC line done then coldcap and treatment inc for HER2 re hubbie. Just hope there are no issues as my scenario is abit complicated involving 3 hospitals.

2 Likes

@Linda_Corinne my picc line goes in on my 2nd round.

3 Likes

Do think about sending hair to little princes trust who make wigs for children :heart:lots of us who had chemo have over the years :heart: yes Amy is fabulous for raising awareness and sharing her story :heart: a beautiful soul :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

I really want to watch thisā€¦sat down to watch it but the tears came and just couldnā€™t face it - I will get the strength soon (struggling to watch anything with even the slightest mention of cancer on tv at the moment)

2 Likes

Please can you let me know what you used for your eyelashes @Linda_Corinne :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2: not found any solid recommendations for this yet & I start next week so had just resigned myself to what will be will be

1 Like

I used Liposomes Talika eyelash conditioning gel with liposomes. Had my hair cut short today esp at the back. Birthday today so went for a meal and afew drinks. Donā€™t drink much now so a rare treat. Bed soon. I have rosemary oil too which I think I used on my eyebrows but got an eyebrow pencil (had them done last year though so hoping they will be OK this time).

2 Likes

Aww, it was a tough watch in places but it was also very brave and made me feel that i wasnt alone and that we can get through this too. It was good to see the cold capping and hospital set up. It was emptional but inspiring too.
Ive been quite teary today. Met with friends for brunch, had my hair cut and went to a scarf tying workshop. Made me feel like i was taking some control over it all.
Look up headwrappers on facebook or instagram, they are a fab charity, it was free and came with free scarves, they do different locations.

2 Likes

Snap. Itā€™s my birthday today too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: thanks for the recommendations and happy birthday!

3 Likes