Seroma after surgery

HHi am now 8 weeks post surgery and have had fluid aspirated 3 times sincE my diep.I still feel quite bloated and swollen. Has anyone else experienced This? How long before it settles down and I regain my new flat stomach?..

Hi Claire

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication regarding reconstruction which discusses recovery times etc. I hope you find it helpful. If you would like to talk to one of our nurses about your concerns please don’t hesitate to call the helpline on 0808 800 6000, calls are free lines open today until 5pm (Mon-Fri 9-5 & Sat 10-2)

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Claire, has you stomach flattend? I was at the gym 8 weeks out doing pilates and that helped get all moving. Hope you are on a forward movement and doing well. LB,x

Thanks LB
I’ve now had 3 lots of fluid drained and more tomorrow. Seems to come back every 3 weeks and gets uncomfortable ( cant even reach down to do my shoes up!)
seems to get worse with more execise so really not sure what o do to help it. Glad you have found a solution that works or yoyou take care xx

Claire, I hope the amount drained has been reducing. When I had mine drained, PS said the body can not handle removing over 25 cc’s and said at each drainage, it should reduce in size. Seroma are so difficult to deal with yet more common than I had known about before hand. My right hip area is now clear yet nearly 6 months out, I still have visible bruising and hard, sort of crumpled (slowly filling in) area where the seroma was via stage 2 revision. There is not much one can do yet ultrasound with a physio helped mine. The excercise overall, when I could, did flatten my stomach and got my muscles showing toned contouring and of course this accentuates my fat thighs. LB, x