Seroma formed 4 months sfter surgery?????

Hi

Has anyone else had to have a seroma drained 4 months after surgery

I was DX with IBC August 08. Had chemo, surgery Feb 09 followed by rads which finished 5 weeks ago. A small swelling appeared during rads which I was told was no problem. 2 weeks ago it got worse and the BCN referred me back to the Surgeon. Today he has managed to get two large syringe fulls of fluid from it. Even he and the oncologist say this is unusual.

Has anyone heard of this happening or am I just odd?

Andie

Just thought I would bump this up for you. I’m afraid I can’t help myself. I did have a seroma drained a couple of times but they were both within a month of surgery. Hope someone will be able to help soon.

Take care. LooLoo x

Hi Andie

I have had exactly the same - I had surgery at the end of February and finished Rads about the same time as you ( I believe we were posting on the same rads thread.

I had a lump and infection - had an ultrasound and was diagnosed with a seroma. Some thick liquid was taken off and I have now been refered to my surgeon who I’m seeing tomorrow. Its quite a hard lump and because the liquid was so thick they couldn’t take much off. It’s quite painful though.

Lynn

Hi Lynn

Sorry that you find yourself in this situation but I am so glad to hear from someone that it has happend to.The resgistrar managed to drain fluid off mine quite easily. It was absolutely clear but has been sent away for testing. I don’t see him again until August unless there is a problem but I see my onc on the 15th and she will tell me the test results.

Keep in touch and let me know what your surgeon has to say

Take Care

Andie

Hi Andie

I saw the surgeon today. She said the seroma and lumpiness is a reation to the radiotherapy. Basically the scarring and fatty bits that were disturbed by the operation were affected by the radiotherapy - not common apparantly but some people are more affected than others. The hard lumps I have are fatty tissue. Luckily it seems that most of the seroma has drained

She also said it could take a year to clear up! but is nothing to worry about. Bit hard when I can’t fit into a bra properly!

Lynn

Hi Lynn

Thanks for passing that on. It is reassuring. I know what you mean about the bra. I have these prothesis that I have not been able to wear yet. As a 34F lady the flat look has taken some getting used to.

My surgeon has sent the seroma fluid away for testing just in case, but from what you have been told I will be surprised if there is a problem.

Take Care

Andie

Hi Andie

I have had a seroma now for almost 2 years! and have been told that it is totally harmless to me. At my first mammogram 6 months after surgery I was sent for an ultrasound and they told me I had a seroma and drained it, like you they took 2 huge syringe loads of liquid away.

My left breast then totally ‘collapsed’ in front of my eyes. I had been amazed at how I had had a lumpectomy and still had a perfectly shaped breast. I had a few tearful moments with the Breast care nurse who said that she would arrange for me to see the consultant to possibly arrange some sort of filling or an implant (up until this point I had been unaware of how much breast tissue had been removed because it looked ‘normal’ to me, I thought I was just a little swollen after 33 rads.) By the time I got home my seroma had refilled the cavity left by the WLE and has been there ever since.

I saw the consultant who recommended that I left it, as it then meant I needed no further surgery for now, I have seen her twice since and it has been left. So I don’t think that a seroma is dangerous in any way, but obviously if it’s uncomfortable or making you look an odd shape it will need to be drained. But it may refill as mine did!

Mine seemed to appear straight after the initial lumpectomy, 2 years ago.
I don’t know what I’ll do if it has to be drained, or goes away of its own accord, as i will be left with half a breast again. But for now I have matching breasts (almost!) and a perfect cleavage - so for me the seroma is good news!

I realise that you are in a different position and need to wear your prothesis, so I hope that you have yours drained soon, but I just wanted you to know that I don’t think a seroma is anything to worry about. it’s just annoying if you don’t want one.

Take care

Nicky

hI
I had a masectomy and back flap reconstruction on 25th Feb this year
I had a seroma in back drained 6 times and my new boob has fluid on it still ,but they wont drain it as in middle of chemo , had 5th one today and they seem to think it may settle afterwards,
My boob still goes hard esp at night and i have to wear a bra in bed as so heavy and painful with fluid, and no bra is comfortable. although 2 bras for 12 pound in marks are not too bad in day till it swells up! On tac chemo and feeling shattered on it so feeling sorry for myself with all the side effects. If anyone can give me any suggestions or if not hope my coments have helped someone else
love julie

Hi Julie

Thanks for telling us your experience. I originally had seromas after surgery but I had already had my chemo so infection was not a problem. It did however delay my rads planning .Eventually rads went ahead and I thought the seromas were a thing of the past.

This new one took me by surprise because both the BCN and the rads nurse thought it was a post rads infection. It was the surgeon who took one look and realised what it was.

When I asked what could be done to stop seromas forming I was told basically nothing- just take life easy and don’t overdo things.So there is your excuse to take to the sofa and do nothing. Seromas and chemo side effects give you permission to watch the tennis with a clear consience. Pimms and a bowl of strawberries if your taste buds allow

Take Care

Andie