Seroma & Hametoma

I (52) had a lumpectomy 2.8 cm and SLN removal on 8/2/24. DCI Er+. 18/2 started to bleed from a small opening in incision. Went to hospital they redressed and seen surgeon on 19/2. He told me had a seroma& Hametoma & was able to remove a lot of blood and fluid from the slight opening in incision and redress the area. 20/2 had a large bleed which couldn’t get under control ( my daughter is nurse and was constantly packing it to get me to hospital)ended with emergency surgery at 9 pm as had a burst blood vessel and clot. Stopped the bleeding and put in clotting agent and lot more stitches inside. Home yesterday and traumatised.2 different emergency surgeons kept saying a very large cavity. Cancer nurse phoned me yesterday and said my surgeon will see me Monday 26/2as will have my results also. I had been doing brilliant up until this exercise included and feeling really positive . No lymph nodes had been seen on original ultrasound but I know until SNL tests comeback this can change. Sorry for such a long rant. Just wondering if anyone ever experienced this as my mind is now going down a rabbit hole and thinking the worse.

4 Likes

Hi there. That sounds awful and I hope your wound is healing better now. I can’t be much help as my version of the same op went by more straightforwardly, but I wanted to say good luck for Monday and I hope the sentinel nodes are clear. I had my op 4 weeks ago and still almost 2 weeks until my results appointment. I’m pretty stressed with this super long wait and my mind is racing with all sorts of ‘what ifs’. I think it is natural to be anxious but regardless of your results on Monday, you are now on a treatment plan and it will get sorted very soon. Look after that wound and keep us all posted x

3 Likes

Hi blue satsuma, thanks for your response, feeling better today bit tender and bruised. I’m hoping it was unfortunately just a complication of surgery and like yourself trying to not let my mind wonder. I had lumpectomy 2 weeks ago today and only reason I think I’m getting results on Monday as Dr let slip yesterday in hospital results where back ( think other than that it would have been another few weeks as I know they’re short staffed)but MDT meeting is Monday and as I have a wound check Monday afternoon at breast clinic I spoke with Dr after surgery and pushed for the results then which he told me 90% percent sure they should have a plan. I’ll keep you updated. I’ll be praying you get yours soon as I know this waiting is awful. I’m Northern Ireland xxx

2 Likes

Hi @pollyanna1

You have all my empathy with this situation! I just had a left side mastectomy last week, luckily they wanted to keep me in to monitor overnight because the following morning I was being prepped for the same emergency surgery for a hematoma. If I’d have gone home I’d have most likely been none the wiser. The 2nd op was successful so far though thankfully, I’ve had my wound checked 3 times since and they’ve said it’s healing well and my drain has come out today too. I have insisted on extra checks ups because I’m so paranoid now after that emergency op. As much as I wish neither of us experienced this it’s a relief that someone else gets it.

I don’t think I’ve fully processed this, so many women I’ve spoken to had successful surgeries in the first instance so I was expecting the same…

Of course I hope your results are all ok and you too @bluesatsuma :heart:

Hi Yasminke, glad to hear your recovering well and I understand what you mean when you say it’s great to hear someone else that had this, although we wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I never had a drain in which think was part of the problem, consultant released a lot of blood and fluid through an opening in scar at the clinic on Monday and I think this is what burst a blood vessel. I’ll never know for sure but from other surgeons reactions I’m reading between the lines. I’m a bit concerned they’re not checking it until Monday, might phone nurse tomorrow and see what she says. Staying positive for Monday and I’ll take from there. Hope all goes well for you all. Hard to process everything at times xxx

I know exactly what you mean! I didn’t have a drain in the first op, they put that in after the emergency op… though sounds like maybe your situation could have been avoided with a drain in the first place? I guess we’ll never know though. If you’re able to call up someone to check it tomorrow for your own peace of mind then absolutely! Especially before the weekend. Don’t suffer if you know it’s going to bother you, better to rest easy than to worry :heart:

1 Like

Hi sounds like you had a hard time with surgery . Hopefully that’s the worst or it over for you. Waiting for results is the hardest part of this whole process. I’m in Southern Ireland and I started my treatment this time last year, so the memory of the wait is still fresh.
Did you have dcis ? Then hopefully your plan is just radiation . Best of luck on Monday .i had idc and was grade 2 . They found traces in my nodes so my plan changed and I needed oncotype test to make decision which was another few weeks of a wait

Hi heartbreak, I have IDC grade 2/3 25mm ER+ but will know more on Monday. Had SLN removed no signs on ultrasound but again waiting results as I know this can all change. think I’ll be more settled when I get the results and get a plan and at least I’ll know what’s ahead. Thank you so much for replying the support here is amazing xxx

I’m going to phone first thing tomorrow just to put my mind at ease. I’d been dealing great with everything until the emergency op and my mind is now in overdrive.

1 Like

Best to be proactive and hopefully they have an update I was 32mm grade 2 and er plus on biopsy and pathology. Trace in the lymph node which led to the oncotype . They were shocked when it came back high as it doesn’t for majority and hopefully you will be one of the majority x

1 Like

Someone I work with who had BC a few years before me had to be rushed back to Hospital - her breast became very hard swollen and painful then opened and bled heavily plus there was a haematoma . She had to go back into surgery and also needed a blood transfusion but once that was dealt with she recovered well and it had absolutely no bearing on her pathology results and I suspect it won’t on yours either .

Your daughter can probably explain to you about your wound and why there is a cavity there - there’s nothing sinister about that although there is a chance it might fill up with seroma again . If you want to clarify something try calling your BCN tomorrow - personally I think they should be checking on you anyway , and if you can’t get hold of them try the helpline ( also open Saturday 9-1) .

I’m not surprised that you aren’t feeling positive right now as you have had a scary experience that will have knocked your confidence and squashed any feelings of relief you might have had after your original op.I imagine that you and possibly your daughter as well will be exhausted seeing that you were dealing with this for 2 days before it was able to be properly sorted out. I hope that it behaves itself from now on and that you can get some rest - Monday probably seems like a long way away right now but just take it a day at a time.

Sending love xx

Hi JoanneN, thank you so much for your reply it’s very encouraging. Everything you said is very true and it has knocked my confidence. I’m going to phone BCN this morning just for reassurance about my wound as I won’t have seen anyone for 6 days from emergency op. I slept well last night which think helps the mind. I’ll be glad when Monday comes regardless of results at least I’ll know the plan. Got some wonderful news last night my daughter has been nominated for paediatric Nurse of the year and it’s given me such a lift. She truly deserves it as I got to experience firsthand this week how amazing she was and I’m sure it wasn’t easy for her to deal with her mother having a burst blood vessel at home and she stepped in straight away and dealt with it until we got to hospital xxx proud mum moment :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m glad you are feeling better - a good night’s sleep makes a huge difference . Congratulations to you and your daughter on the award - definitely enjoy that moment xx

1 Like

Oh bless you big hugs
Rest and distract yourself with someone or something as our mind go off all over
Tits and toes crossed for you xx

1 Like

Had my appointment with surgeon today, wound healing well after 2nd op. Good news grade 3 stage 2 no lymph node involvement and got a clear margin. Because of being grade 3 sent for ONCO score so will know in 3 weeks if I need Chemo. Just very pleased I’ve no lump node involvement xxx

2 Likes

Hi bluesatsumama, your journey and mine seems to be very well similar ( minus 2nd op, which was complication of surgery) good news today
, no lymph node involvement clear markers round tumour. Radiation 15 sessions. Grade 3 stage 2 will know 2-3 weeeks if I need chemotherapy because high grade it might benefit chemo but tests sent to England. Marginal for chemo depending on ONCO score. Very happy xxx
Feeling a lot more positive hope all is good with your results xxx

1 Like

Thats great @pollyanna1. Hopefully the oncotype will come back nice and low. How long will it be before you get the results? All this waiting is driving me insane! 6 days until surgery results for me now! So glad youve got good news and a clear plan. X

1 Like

3 weeks, I can live with that after no lymph node involvement. Dr said because such a high grade everything is now belt & braces. I’m praying and wishing you well with your results. Xxxx

1 Like

I think your very brave after such a traumatic experience.

I always ring breast care now nurses before any appointments with surgeons etc.
They give me questions I might want to ask.

As it’s a new topic for all of us and sometimes you only get a short time with the top brass.

You need to give yourself a big pat on the back.
Coping through this trauma

Good luck on your cancer journey

1 Like

Hi @user118, thank so much for your lovely comment. Hope all is well with you.Todays the first I’ve actually cried think reality has kicked in. My family are amazing but think I’ve been putting a brave face on for everyone and today just couldn’t stop crying. The surprising thing was everyone said they were expecting it :joy: , feeling better and think it was the conversation we needed to have. Take care and look after yourself :heart_eyes:

1 Like