Should I work?

Hi I got told today that it’s stage 2 locally advanced, I will be having EC chemo followed by paclitaxel chemo then surgery etc after. The oncologist has said many people work through it so I’m unsure what to do now. I work night shifts doing stock replenishment. I will have a pic line in for the duration although he explained it would be under a bandage. The job is very physical, it involves pushing and pulling and lifting and stretching etc. Will I be ok to work or should I take time off? My shifts are 11 hours long so another option I could ask them about could be to do shorter shifts but then if not off sick would this affect my pay? I just worry about the physical side of itvas already really difficult with pain and exhaustion before treatment has started. I also worry about if it will pull on the line or will that stay secure x

1 Like

I started to work for a couple of months of chemo and started to feel a bit tired and wanted to put all my efforts into getting well but i was 63 when diagnoised with stage 3 ILBC.
please visit/call Macmillan benefits advisors who can quide you in making Personal Independence Payment (PIP). They may even help you with the application. This may allow you to reduce your hours if you are awarded a payment. You can still be working and get a PIP payment. You may also qualify for a macmillan grant.
Your body will tell you what you can cope with and it can change as time goes on
Good luck with your treatment x

2 Likes

Thank you, I have text my boss to ask for number for occupational health team at work so I can speak to them to. The nurse at the appointment last week told me I would need it off due to infection risks etc but oncologist today said I would have injections to do at home to help fight infection and many people work through so now I was like, I don’t know what’s best to do as very physically demanding job but also like the social side x

You will be covered by the disability act. You may want your place of work to offer you alternative role due to your disability but you occupational health will explain all of options available to you.

Hi, please seriously think about this. The only people I know who carried on working were people who worked from home and had very supportive managers and flexible working conditions.

I had 3 EC and then 8 paclitaxel. The EC was really tough. The first week after chemo was really hard, I spent the majority of it either in bed or on the sofa watching Netflix. The second week was better and then the third week I was pretty much ok. Then the three week cycle starts again. I had a PICC line and you have to go back up to the hospital for it to be flushed every week and you also need to have bloods taken just before each chemo to check you’re ok to have it. The appointments stack up. I felt like I was never away from the hospital,

You are given lots of steroids to take which means you won’t sleep. As the weeks go by I felt more and more tired. You feel exhausted and in a sort fog for most of the time. I’m a primary school teacher and there is no way I could’ve done my job.

Losing my hair also affected me emotionally.

The paclitaxel was easier. Those are weekly, so again you’re at the hospital twice if not three times for a PICC flush, bloods and then the chemo very week.

I was off work from September 2021 to April 2022 and eventually went back on a phased return.

In many ways chemo wasn’t as bad as the media, films etc make out but it was still a very, very exhausting experience. Some weeks I didn’t go out of the house for days.

I wish you well but if you can get some sort of paid sick leave I would take it.

Everyone has different side effects from their treatment and deal with them differently, I personally cancelled work for 6months as a pet sitter and was glad I did cos my side effects were pretty severe and I spent at least one week out of the three in bed suffering.
So I guess in your case either stop or warn them you may cancel at short notice …see how you go once you start.

I agree with @louby_lou69 I have been off work since May2023. I work in school teaching so I was very emotional in the beginning and my headteacher said I needed to time to get used to the diagnosis. Then I had so many appointments until my surgery in July, chemo Sep to Dec (12 weekly Paclitaxel), radiotherapy in January and I continue to have Herceptin and Letrozole.
I had Herceptin yesterday and it knocks me for a few days with flu like symptoms.

My job was not conducive to nipping out for a few minutes, sitting quietly or resting if needed. I needed to be 100% and that wasn’t possible. During chemo there were some wonderful ladies who worked with very flexible employers mainly from home on a computer.

With chemo and the drugs associated such as steroids you are going to feel very run down, fatigued, tired from lack of sleep to mention a few side effects. Your PICC line will restrict what you can do, I was advised not to raise above my head and no heavy lifting. Reading what you do for your job it may not be possible for you to continue.

You may want to talk to your team about your job and what it entails. They will guide you as to what and what is not possible.

Hopefully the BCN nurses will also answer soon.

Take care and do what is right for you and your health :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi camcat,

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable you’re unsure about working during your chemotherapy. As your oncologist says, some people do work through their treatment, but as @Paulypops67 says everyone has different side effects and will deal with them differently.

Anyone who has a cancer diagnosis has their rights protected by the Equality Act 2010, which as @Teresa_Jones says, means employers are required to make reasonable adjustments to help you continue to work or have time off for appointments or during your treatment and recovery. More information about this can be found here.

Like any treatment, chemotherapy can cause side effects and it’s difficult to say how you will feel during your treatment. As @louby_lou69, how you feel might vary throughout your treatment.

As your work is very physical with long shifts, it would be useful to get advice as to whether working during your treatment is right for you. Macmillan offer a work support service as well as a personalised support in regards to sick pay and any benefits or grants you might be entitled to. There is also an organisation called Working with Cancer that offer support to employees and employers following a cancer diagnosis.

You might find talking to someone who has had a similar experience helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. You can be in touch with your volunteer by phone or email and they can share their personal experiences to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen to how you are feeling.

We also offer a range of other free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline

You can also call our helpline if you would like to talk things through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Victoria

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.