side effects of arimidex and aromasin

Hello everyone

Has any one else had very bad nausea and dizziness on Arimidex. I have also passed out twice. I am now on aromasin but this is just the same.

I will probably come off them next week when I go to see the oncologist, she is very understanding.

Thank you very much

Jane

Hi Jane

I think there are a number of threads running on the Arimidex debate/side effects. I too was very sickly and giddy on Arimidex and also had numerous other side effects, so my oncologist took me off them after almost 3 years. Apparenty - so he said - the main benefit is in the first 2 - 3 years and the percentage extra protection declines rapidly after that. So it’s a question of outweighing the benefits over the side efects and I was happy to accept his decision.

Good luck with your appointment.

Birgit

Hello Jane,
yes, Ive had the nausea. It started about 4-6 weeks ago after I had been on Arimadex for 3 months (I started on it last November) I had anti-nausea tablets that were given me for when I was on chemo (and didnt need them then) which I took and then went to my doctors 2 weeks ago about it. I was prescibed more anti nausea tablets but I now feel as though I have a permanent lump in my throat. If I cough I bring up fluid and sometimes food.
I haven`t felt dizzy but feel really miserable with this.
I get the achy joints as well as other side effects.

Thanks for your comments.

I am going to see the oncologist on Thursday and I will let you know.

I also have very painful joints, hots sweats, night sweats etc etc.

I am sure we will sort it out.

Thanks very much

Jane

I have to say I think I have been quite lucky with Arimidex (been on them for 7 months) apart from small hot sweats in day on first taking them & aching joints, but that could be either Herceptin or the Zoladex I have not had any other symptoms like nausea or dizzy spells, wishin you all well.

Hi all, would just like to say that I was originally put on tamoxifen (even though my tumour was Oestrogen negative) but I was not happy taking it as I believed it interfered with my libido. I stopped taking it but my oncologist insisted that I be protected by something so put be on Arimidex. I did take it for 2 years with no particular side-effects but my libido went from little to absolutely zilch so I stopped taking Arimidex. Maybe I’m being stupid by not protecting myself but I have never had a decent enough explanation as to why I was given these drugs considering my E- tumour. I feel that the oncologist is just clutching at straws and I don’t believe these drugs are really doing anything for me that is why I have refused to take them.

Has anyone else had a problem with their sex drives? It has got to the point now that my relationship is suffering as I can’t bear even the thought of nookie!

Love and best wishes to all,

Sue xx

Sex drive has long driven over the horizon. I thought it was me!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I have been trying to get both oncologist and doctor to take my lack of sex drive seriously, but they think it is psychological; I know it is not and is definiitely physical due to early menopause caused by my treatment. I believed that both Tamoxifen and Arimidex was exacerbating the problem and that is why I have come off them.

My body is dead sexually and I feel I am missing out on so much, but no doctor will take me seriously.

Love to all,

Sue xx

Hi Sue and Sharon

Breast Cancer Care have published a booklet called ‘Sexuality, intimacy and breast cancer’ which may be helpful for you to read. You can access this via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/Breast Cancer Care_sexuality_0.pdf

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for your help!

Love

Sue x

How can we get this booklet. I`ve not been able to download it.
thanks
Margaret

I have also tried but have not been successful.

Sue x

Hi

Sorry about that, I have posted the link again.
breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/sexuality___feb_08_0.pdf

Kind regards
Katie

No giddiness but I sure ache!

Sue I know exactly how you are feeling. It’s that attitude, usually by male medical staff, the ‘well your alive arn’t you? Why is sex so important?’!

Sex isn’t at all important to me, but close physical contact is a basic human need, and my imposed fridgidity must have something to do with my awful marital problems at present. Trouble is, just been getting a bone scan done and reported back on as being ok. Now that’s out of the way, I may ask my GP for more support with the ‘other’ problem.

Irene

Ill join you in the awful marital problems. My husband isnt able to touch me now Not that there had been much before diagnosis (because of his drinking there was the “brewers droop”) So no sex for about 3 years but no friendship either.
He doesnt want a divorce but he wont go and see a doctor himself so it must be me. And of course the mastectomy. etc.