Side effects of radiotherpy

Hi I am new to asking questions etc. But I had 5 rounds of radiotherpy and finished it just over 2 weeks ago. I am struggling with such an itchy sore boob and the snb scar under my arm is so red lumpy and itchy too. I am using an emollient twice a day . I cannot wear a bra as it makes under my arm scar so sore and itchy. Does anyone have any advice as to what else I could use and how long these side effect will last please. It’s driving me crazy. Would anti histamines . Any advice please

3 Likes

Dear Mazza21

So sorry to read you are feeling so uncomfortable after radiotherapy treatment, unfortunately as it’s the weekend you may have to wait until Monday when you could call your breast cancer nurse or the radiologist for advice.

However I don’t think anti-histamine would do you any harm (I’m not medically trained) so maybe call 111 if you need information before Monday.

Wishing you well going forward

Love Tili :rainbow::pray::rainbow::pray:

2 Likes

Call the breast cancer now nurses or McMillan nurses (UK) if you don’t have an out of hours number for your team, or try calling your radiology technical team.
I had radiation dermatitis on my back post palliative rads to spine and I used over the counter hydro cortisone cream - pharmacist could advise, until I could talk to team and then I needed some slightly stronger prescription hydrocortisone cream to calm it down.

1 Like

Hi @mazza21

So sorry you are going through this . I had a lot of itching between my breasts and under my affected boob which lasted quite some time though eased gradually . I moisturised 5 times daily , even so the skin around my areola and nipple became scaly and dry and all flaked off but didn’t break down . My breast looked and felt sunburned in those areas too . I have heard that Aloe Vera gel can be helpful for itching especially if you put it in the fridge so it’s extra cool. It sounds like your breast may have become a bit swollen as well .

If you can’t stand to wear a bra could you cope with a crop top ? I can recommend the Proskins one which is breathable and helps to moisturise the skin . I also liked M+S Flexi fit and their support vests.
It sounds daft but I put a sock inside my crop top between / under my boob which helped to stop my skin rubbing together / or against the clothes . It also seemed to help it feel cooler. If I woke up feeling itchy and automatically went to scratch whilst still half asleep, the fact that there was a sock in there made me realize I needed to stop before I started. If you want to try using this highly technical piece of equipment I would suggest one made from mostly natural fibres - I used bamboo viscose but a really soft cotton one would do the same.

My lumpectomy wound also went lumpy but has settled down now.
I would also second the advice given by @Tili and @SMBW18 . It sounds as though you need to get assessed by your BCN as well .

Hang in there
Joanne. X

2 Likes

Hi Mazza21,

I really feel for you. My skin broke down terribly after radiotherapy despite me doing all the recommended things. I thought i would just have to put up with it but at a general oncology appointment they took a look and sent me straight back to the radiotherapy unit. They advised that the radiotherapy clinic could provide things which arent on general prescription.

I hadnt thought of contacting them myself as my treatment had finished a couple of weeks earlier. However they were amazing and provided me with creams, tablets but especially some v thin spongy pink pads/dressings to apply. They didnt have adhesive on so didnt tear my skin further and i dont know what was in them but they soothed my skin instantly.

If you do have the option to seek support from your radiotherapy unit i would encourage you to, as my skin got in a really bad way before i got their amazing stuff , and they said they wished i had been seen by them sooner as they are really glad to do what they can to help.

All the very best to you
Julie xx

1 Like

It’s been 3 years since my radiotherapy but I remember the peak soreness was about 10 days after I finished. My skin completely broke down with blisters and was red raw. However after about 2 weeks I noticed tiny areas of new pink skin and it took another week before the weeping dried up.

I know the hospital gave me a cream for burns but I think nothing really helped only time.
The antihistamine might help the itch though.

1 Like

Hi,i had an acute reaction to Radiotherapy and had to have antihistamines through a drip.I tyen had antihistamines 4 times a day for a week. I was prescribed Flamigel and it was a godsend x

1 Like

My GP advised a vitamin E cream when my scar after mastectomy was causing me pain, and it seems to work keeping my skin supple, although you will need to be careful about infections. Audrey xxx

1 Like

Hi thanks for all your advice. I am using the emollient and now trying hydrocortisone. Have used it 3 times today but no better yet. I am finding the worst as I say is the scar from taking the sentinel lymph nodes. That is so red really lumpy all around it and itchy… .maybe I will ring tomorrow . I just dont like to bother them if this is normal and it is 3 weeks since I finished radiotherapy.

1 Like

Hi, I noticed that I was swelling after radiotherapy and now use a castor oil wrap to help move along the lymphoedema . Massage gently every day to help move the fluid along.
I also wear a dressing inside my bra that resembles bubble wrap, this was given to me at the lymphoedema clinic and its been a game changer. Hope all goes well for you.

2 Likes

Hi again @mazza21

You do need to contact either the Radiotherapy team your BCN or possibly both . Hydrocortisone as a stop gap may be ok but don’t keep using it without letting your team know . I understand you not wanting to bother them but if it stops further complications it will save them time in the long run and they will be used to dealing with these problems .
As a couple of people have mentioned they have access to dressings that you can’t get elsewhere which might help you.

There’s quite a wide spectrum of what skin problems might be considered normal afterwards and it’s open to interpretation depending on individual experience and whether they led to any complications but if you are needing to resort to anti - histamines and steroid cream then it seems to me that you could use some help. You could also try the Helpline in the morning - I’m sure they will be able to give some advice but I think would be likely to refer you back to your own teams.

I don’t know what you are using on your skin and for showering etc but they may be able to suggest something ( forgive me if you are already using something that’s been given). I was told to avoid Sudocrem until the worst had settled and things containing Sodium Lauryl Sulphate . Aveeno is really good - I’ve kept on using it . I heard of other people using Medi Honey and Moo Goo . Someone else who was struggling got prescribed Zerobase and found that helped . Flamigel is one that people seem to get given in some areas by the Radiotherapy team for the burning and redness .

Take care Mazza - hope you feel better soon
Joanne. X

1 Like

My radiotherapy department recommended hydrocortisone cream for the itch if it got too bad.

I wore crop tops for ages as the edge of the bra rubbed along my snb scar and the crop tops come higher into the armpit

1 Like

Never think you are ‘bothering’ them-they are there to help and support you. There are so many different things which can help- many people do not have the soreness side effects, etc, so they don’t dole it out to everyone if it is not needed, but you are as important to them as they are to you! Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

1 Like

Hi everyone just wanted to let you know how I am getting on. I went to the pharmacy and I also managed to get in touch with the radiotherapy help line. The pharmacy gave me some cream called epimax excetra cream. I have to say it worked within 2 days with using hydrocortisone cream too. The itch and rash have completely gone. The scars are still red and lumpy but not sore at all now. Thankyou for all your help and advice x

5 Likes

I’m glad that you’re doing so much better .:blush:
Thanks for getting back to let us know.

Joanne x

1 Like

Dear Mazza

So pleased to read that you are feeling better, also some good advice for our other ladies.

Well done, keep well.

Hugs Tili :rainbow::pray::rainbow::pray:

1 Like

Hi ladies, this topic is very helpful and informative for me, thank you for sharing your experience, I would start radiotherapy in a few weeks and is good to know about the possibility of side effects.
Sincerely the radiotherapy team does not gave me to many information about how we will manage all this situation, they said we will see on that moment if happens, but I ask how to prevent and treat but probably different place and staff training :disappointed:
All my best to you ladies, hopefully you are doing well.
Big hug :hugs:

Hi @Camy_Radika

There was a video on YouTube that someone at my support group put me into that helped me . Without that I wouldn’t have known about the tattoos - some hospitals put 4 tiny dot tattoos on you at the first appointment so that they can use them as a guide for positioning . I didn’t have any tattoos before this and they don’t bother me but some people feel strongly about them and were marked with surgical marker pens instead though you would have to take care that the marks didn’t get washed off before you go back to start treatment.

The woman in the video was given a paper cover to cover herself to walk to and from the table but I had a hospital gown.

Some people have said that they were cold during radiotherapy and advised warm trousers and socks. I wore a crop top rather than a bra so that I could keep it on around my waist all the time and pull it straight back up afterwards .

Make sure you are well hydrated before you start your sessions and start moisturising your breast / behind your breast / between your breasts / decollete 2 weeks before you start your treatments. I had a phone call as part of my preparation and had the opportunity to ask questions then.

I felt a bit off immediately after each session - the sort of feeling I used to get after working a night shift . I personally had a sit down for half an hour with a coffee and often a piece of cake and after that I was ok for the rest of the day. Everyone is different though - some people even fast .

Hope this is helpful
Joanne x

2 Likes

Thank you dear, definitely is very helpful, I am don’t understand why the nurse does not want to give us all this tips to make us more prepared and calmer.
All my best to you :revolving_hearts: big hug :hugs:
Thank you again

1 Like

Forgot to say to keep doing the post - op breast exercises for at least 3 months after radiotherapy . I’m 18 months post and still do them - probably always will.

Joanne. X

1 Like