Skin mets

Hello all,

I just joined this board and am looking for others who have skin mets. To date I have not had any success with treatment and my mets are rampantly progressing. I also have a couple of bone mets and more recently some suspected lung mets but the skin mets are the main problem for now. I’m triple negative.

As they aren’t that common it would be nice to hear of others’ experience of them.

Thanks

I have just been diagnosed with skin met. I was on palbociclib and fulvestrant so that did not work for me. Just started capecitabine but only started a couple of days ago so too early to tell if it is working. I have lung mets and had a pleuridosis? Is that how it’s spelt…lung stuck with talc after fluid drained off. And bone mets. They were reducing with first treatment and I had good quality of life so skin mets a very unwelcome development.  Will let you know how I get on.  

I have recently been diagnosed with recurrence in the skin of my breast in which the original cancer was. My surgeon let it go 4 months before he did a punch biopsy. It appears to be spreading to the other breast and up my neck. Start chemo tomorrow. 

Ani…you don’t say where your skin mets are, or how extensive, but have you asked about radiotherapy, or electrochemotherapy? This is also known as ect. I have had skin mets on my chest near my mastectomy scar and had radiotherapy which dealt with them so far. The first, which led to my secondary dx, was removed 5 years ago and biopsied and didn’t return. Systemic treatments can make a difference of course, but although letrozole worked for me for 3 years keeping me stable with bone mets, nonetheless another small skin met appeared. The radio dealt with that. The thing is to discuss all possible options with your onc. Ect is not widely known about or used and not done everywhere. I can’t remember the main hospitals offering g it, but I know the royal free do it. There is a website…igeamedical.co.uk/information-patients/electrochemotherapy-where…which shows the hospitals doing it. Sorry but that link didn’t come up live!

in the end ect May not be appropriate for you but I thought I’d mention it. We are on a learning curve, and just need to share. I would not like to think you hadn’t known about it, or radiotherapy. All the very best,

mo

Came across reading this article and have used google translate to convert from Chinese to English. I believe radiotherapy is also an efficient way to treat skin met other than chemo.

By : 

Liao Zhiying, MD

Director of Radiation Oncology, Taichung Hospital, Weifu Department
New York MSKCC Cancer Integrated Medicine
Houston MD ANDERSON Cancer Integrated Medicine

This medical research report was published in 2018 Taiwan Japan Radiation Oncology Symposium.

A 60-year-old woman with triple-negative breast cancer with first diagnosis 7 years ago. She was initially treated with a mastectomy of the right breast, undergoing multiple surgeries, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy was still recurring. Last year, it transferred to the left breast and underwent mastectomy and chemotherapy. The second-line Eribulin and Bevacizumab did not work and still unfortunately multiple skin metastases.

Clinically, triple-negative skin metastasis is a difficult problem. It is necessary to integrate surgical, hematologic oncologists and radiation oncologists to work together!

Pre-treatment status

First of all, because there is no obvious other organ metastasis problem, we first adopt radiation therapy and immunotherapy plans!

1. The first two weeks began to nurse physical strength and nutrition, and more intake of immune tumor formula nutrients, and Yunzhi polysaccharides (PSK ingredients, TLR2 immune stimulation) to increase the number of T lymphocytes!
  2. Start using the immune cream Imiquimod (TLR 7) immunomodulator one week before treatment, once a day thin, pay attention to whether there is a red rash allergy.
  3. Radiation therapy for skin and chest wall 5000cGy/20Fr.
  4. At the 18th 4500cGy, combined with immunologic ointment and radiation therapy, the tumor has disappeared 90%, which is better than the previous radiotherapy alone.

Note:

Imiquimod and immunotherapy are combined with ongoing clinical trials in humans. Our personal experience is that the safety is OK, the use is good, and the clinical use should be further discussed with the doctor!

I was diagnosed with Cutaneous Metastatic Breast Cancer last November (Nov 2023) and found out about a clinical trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC that started this past February. I was able to get into the trial and it is truly a miracle. My nodules and lesions are healing! I am participating in phase II of the trial and phase I had an 80% success rate.

I’m hoping that this message reaches others with CMBC because there are 6 spots left in the clinical trial so there is still space if you want to join. The trial involves a noninvasive drug that you take through an IV (the only side effect was that I was light sensitive for 3 weeks) and the next day they use an infrared laser to activate the drug. The laser then kills the tumors from the inside out. Several weeks after the treatment, scabs started forming on my skin began to heal. I met with my doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering today and found out that they were still taking patients for the clinical trial. I want to get the word out to as many people as possible because this is truly a game changer. It is turning what is normally a dire prognosis into a miracle. Let me know if you would like more information.

1 Like