So confused Blue dye to lymph after radiation???

Hi,   I have one doctor saying i can have blue dye to check nodes and another doctor saying no there is no point the dye will not show because i have already had radiation and damage to same breast due to previous cancer. I have had scan to arm pit  and all looks well. But they are suggesting full clearance!!!

Hello Jellylegs

Whilst waiting for replies maybe a call to our helpline may help.  Lines open again in the morning.

The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi jelly legs my unit would dothe SNB with blue dye even for a recurrence unless there was something obvious in the nodes… my unit are loathe to do full clearance unless there is an obvious reason to do so… But every unit is different.

Which doctors are suggesting doing SNB or ANC? Is it two different surgeons? They should have a meeting to discuss the best option… I have a number of freinds who had recurrence and they often didnt even recheck their nodes let alone go down the route of ANC… I think maybe you need a bit more information before making the decision.

Eg what is the risk from neg US that the SNB would find cancer and what is the risk that the nodes would be normal if you chose to have a ANC… And if you chose either what would be the risks of lymphoedema… You will be able to find some of the answers here on bcc in the forum and through the bcc info pages.

Lxx