So much sorrow

Granny Scouse

I am so sorry to here about Anna it is horibble losing a friend, sending you a big hug.

Dear Maureen

As a dog lover I am so sorry to hear about Anna. I have always had dogs and dread when the time comes as it never gets easier. My two are now 10 and one is not well so I know what is around the corner. Thinking of you

Cathy
x

Dear ladies

Thank you so much for all your messages. They’ve been such a comfort to me, and it’s good to know you all understand. Give all your pets a huge hug from Granny xx

Jantharra, thank you for Rainbow Bridge. It’s a beautiful poem and made me cry. I’ve printed it out so I’ll have a good excuse to cry some more.

Lanterna, it’s a good idea to walk other dogs. A bit too soon for me at present but I’ll certainly consider it a bit further down the line.

When we got Anna six years ago (she was 4 then), I considered taking her into hospitals (the stroke wards were recommended to me) as she had such a gentle personality, but it never happened. I wish I’d pursued it as she’d have brought enjoyment and comfort to a lot of people.

Much love to you all.
Maureen xx

Sending a (((hug))) to you Maureen…from another who understands what it is like to lose a much loved pet.

My little rescue JRT died 7 years ago now, and I can’t describe the sorrow I felt. I know many people might not agree (or wouldn’t be ready), but I very soon (within a couple of weeks), paid a visit to the Battersea Dogs Home in Kent, not really expecting to find another suitable dog, but there, lying in his cage, was a handsome little Jack, 18 months old, having been picked up as a stray, rehomed and bought back again by his new owners, and looking very sorry for himself!

Needless to say, after a chat with the staff, and a romp with him in their enclosure, a lead was put on him and I was putting him in the car to bring home!

I still missed my previous dog, and it took me a while to properly love the new one, (took him a while to properly love and trust me, too), but I like to think that some good came out of my sorrow, as another abandoned dog got a loving new home.

xxx

Dear Granny Scouse,

I am so sorry to read of your loss. I am just sitting looking at our dog, Mr Duncan Barker, 11 1/2 years old, with a tumour bigger than a tennis ball on the side of his face. We keep taking him out for walks and saying ‘see he still has a wag and enjoys a good walk’ and have not quite got to the point where we know we must say a final good bye. I just wish he would die peacefully in his sleep without us having to intervene as I cannot bear the thought of what we have to face, and very soon. My partner has taken him to work with him everyday since he was a pup and I don’t know how he will cope. Our pets really are a huge part of the family (rabbit, chickens, fish…) and we are going to miss him so much when the time comes.

Thinking of you, Granny S…

Jenny
x

I’ve been through it. My friends without pets cannot understand why the grief. I have come through it and now have a chewing, mischievous, little Staffie,‘Tilly’, who licks you to death. You never forget the ones who are gone - but I have rescued ‘Tilly’!

Thinking of you.

Thank you all again, ladies

Anna’s death was very sudden. From being a happy, waggy doggy one minute, she became very lethargic, vomited but only fluid, and could only walk a few paces. At first I put it down to her eating something outside (Goldies eat ANYTHING) and I thought I’d fast her for 24 hours. When I realised it must be something more serious, I couldn’t lift her to the car and Granddad couldn’t just leave work immediately. So it was a few hours before we could get to the vet.

Turns out she had a tumour on her spleen and was bleeding in her abdomen. She’d displayed no symptoms at all of being unwell.

We’ve disposed of everything except her collar and six years of wonderful memories.

Maureen xx

I to am now sitting with tears in my eyes, and am so, so, sorry for you. I have a 5 year old Lab. Retriever, and he has been there throughout my toughest challenge yet, and was my rock, giving me cuddles when I was so down, and and excuse to get out of the house. I cant bear to think of life without him as I love him so much, so my heart goes out to you.
may she rest in peace now and you cherish your lovely memories.
sending you a big hug
xx

Maureen this might help … when Sophie died I got quite a few of her photos and made a little montage of her from puppy through adolescence and the some funny ones … I cut or tore them into different shapes and fitted some slightly on top of others and at diffrerent angles and framed it and it is on our wall. Only about 11x9. I often stand and look at it with a smile when dusting. It took me a while to do and I found it really helped sprting through her photos and deciding which ones and how to display them.
Sue x

Can I just add my sympathies for your terrible loss. I often think how fortunate animals are that they don’t have any concept of their own mortality; they live in the moment as it were. You obviously gave your dog a great life full of love.

I often say I have 2 furry and 2 unfurry children - the unfurry being my lovely daughter and son of 19 and 17, the furry being my black cocker spaniel Jasper and my golden cocker spaniel Dolly. My unfurry children will be two years old on the 22nd of January and the amount of love and companionship they have given me in that time is immeasurable. Their company also means that my unfurry childen don’t have to put up with grapping them for cuddles so much!

Here’s a toast (in fact tea and toast) to our wonderful pets.

Dear Maureen
Only just saw this thread. I am so sorry. I grew up surrounded by animals and know how much they give you. My heart broke when I was 13 and our border collie was put to sleep because of a liver tumour.
It’s very hard and I feel for you.
Take care,
Anne xx

Again, thank you all for your support.

I feel better now than I did this time last week. Still miss her to bits though. I’ve tried to get out for short walks most days (except the two I was in Sheffield on the fatigue follow-up day which was brilliant) and I’ve taken her collar with me. Even took it into the village this morning when I did a bit of shopping. Thought about tying it up outside the shops but thought it might get nicked hahaha.

Maureen xx

Oh Maureen I have just caught up with this thread. I am so sorry that you have lost Anna. It is devastating. I ost one beloved cat two weeks before my mum died in 2004, and then another last January while I was mid treatment. Life is never quite the same.

Huge waves of love and sympathy coming you way.

Dilys
xxxx

Awful - I know non pet lovers must think we are mad, but my spollie - spanial collie cross, has got me through all my treatments, is always delighted to see me, and never moans. Couldn’t cope without her.

I really feel for you, I know I’d find it heart wrenching.

much love

We had to say goodbye to our dog yesterday. We took him for a walk by the river and then to the vets. We brought him home and buried him in our garden with some bluebells sent by a friend on the Isle of Skye over him.

Our house is a very sad place right now…

Jenny
x

Jenny,
so sorry to hear of your loss. Being a pet owner is as much responsibility as being a parent we have 2 westies.
Feel your pain so sending cyber hugs.
Love Debsxxx

So sorry to hear of your losses Granny Scouse and Jenny - I can totally understand your pain as never really having been without a dog, have lost many over the years.

Lesley x

My thoughts are with you both.My dear friend Bruce the rottie who supported me all through my treatment died suddenly outside my bedroom door before I got up on a cold march morning not six months later.I knew then that my life would never be the same again.He was the best friend anyone could ever wish for.By the way Jenny- nice to see a photograph of you.Don’t know why but I’ve always pictured you with a black ‘bob’- you look just like I thought you would!

Josie x

Thanks Josie. By the way, a dear work colleague of mine always called me Rottie - can’t think why…

Jenny
x

Jenny, I’m so sorry to hear your sad news. Know just how you’re feeling at present.

I’ve just had a little hiccup myself. Was reaching in the back of the fridge for something and accidentally knocked over a tub of cream. Splat, all over the floor. Looked around for Anna but she wasn’t there :frowning: How she’d have loved that!

Maureen xx