So scared

I am posting here as I feel so alone and utterly terrified. I am 6 months pregnant and have a bulge in my left breast with a hollow under it, the GPs I have seen say they have never seen anything like it. Both my breasts are painful and tender and my armpit on the left side is sore. I have a funny feeling of stiffness and weakness in my left shoulder, arm and hand. I suffer from terrible anxiety anyway but this has left me a wreck. I have the breast clinic tomorrow for ultrasound and biopsies. I am so incredibly frightened. I have lost many previous pregnancies so it feels even worse that this one was progressing ok until this happened.
I don’t know why I’m posting really, I just wanted to see if anyone had anything similar?

Hi Mariana,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, where I am sure the many informed users of this site will be along shortly to offer some much needed support at this time.

Unfortunately our helpline is closed today as it’s the Bank Holiday but reopens tomorrow morning at 9am if you would like to give them a call before your hospital appointment, calls are free 0808 800 6000.

I have put for you below links to BCC’s publication ‘breast changes during and after pregnancy’ which I hope you find helpful.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/breast-health/breast-changes-during-after-pregnancy-bcc148

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Mariana,
i just want to send you a big hug. Having lost many pregnancies, and now being confronted with all this pain and uncertainty and anxiety that you are going though must be very hard. You have come to a good forum here, with lots of lovely ladies offering each other such much needed support.
I hope your appointment in the breast clinic tomorrow gives you some answers about what s going on. Please do phone the helpline as Jo suggested - they are very good, and can perhaps help you feel a little better and prepared for the visit to the clnic. Make sure you bring someone with you tomorrow, to be there for you and help as a second set of ears, and to support you.
hope things go well tomorrow for you,
in the mean time, if there is anything that you can do this evening to take your mind off things, then do try. A good film? Something that makes you laugh? Or anything else that makes you feel good yourself?
Fingers crossed for you tomorrow
christine

Thanks for your reply Christine. I’m not very good at distracting myself really but I’ve been trying to sort out our finances for the month as a diversion!
I have to go alone tomorrow as I have no family near and my husband has to look after our daughter while I’m out. I’m a bit braver when I’m on my own though so I’m not too bothered about that.
i’ll hopefully have more information tomorrow as they will apparently do an ultrasound first.
I’m so weary of always having huge worry hanging over me. I fear I sound self pitying but I just don’t know anyone else who has the terrible luck I have had over the past few years. I expect the worst and I’m all too often proved right, I thought my luck had changed a little until this so now I’m back in the depths of misery.

Just needed to get that big moan off my chest!
Mariana

Darling you have come to absolutely the right place to have a moan and share your fears and distress- everyone on here has been through similar experiences.
I do hope your appt today has put your mind at rest, or at very least given you good information to help you see the way forward.
We all hope you won’t need to join us, but if it is BC you will get lots of support and hugs from everyone here, and honestly it does help.
You probably didn’t get full diagnosis today if it is BC, so for your next appt make a list of questions, write down everything you are told, download the info leaflets from this site, and ring the helpline. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question and keep asking until you get answers you understand.
all the very best
grumpy

Thank you so much grumpy. I had my appointment and it turned out that the lump is a varicose vein that they could see using ultrasound. The consultant hasn’t seen anything like it before but thinks it will subside after the pregnancy.
I will now be making a donation to BCC in recognition of the helpful information and support I received here. I have a new awareness of this disease and great respect for those of you supporting each other here.

Best wishes to you all.
Mariana

Great news Mariana! :slight_smile: good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. x

Soooooooooooo very pleased for you!! Please come back and tell us when your baby is born, happy days!!xx