Took my first tamoxifen tablet last night - how long did everyone’s symptoms kick in and what seemed to be the most common? I swear I had a night sweat already last night
but I think it’s just my mind playing tricks on me - I’m currently off work recovering from a DMX/DIEP but hoping to go back to my normal job as a physio in a couple of months but worried tamoxifen symptoms may have other ideas
After a few days of taking tamoxifen I had a couple of warmer nights and a couple of days when I struggled to focus (nothing overly major, both of these were relatively mild). I changed the time I took it from morning to 5pm so it didn’t affect work. Not sure if it was the change of time or simply becoming accustomed to a new medication but after a few days these both went away and I haven’t had any issues at all since. I’ve had maybe five or six different brands over about two and a half years and not noticed any difference between them. x
Hey,
I hear you. I’ve been having lots of trouble on tamoxifen. Some people don’t. Menopause and Cancer podcast has an episode all about side effects from endocrine therapy, like tamoxifen. its definitely worth a listen. Good take aways - different brands can affect people diffently. Monitoring your symptoms when your start it makes a difference.
If you have trouble, you can do various things - take a treatment break, try an reduced dose, switch brands, look at other alternatives. Your medical team can discuss with you, but ultimately its always your call.
Ask your team about your own risk and benefits,- understaniding what you are getting from tamxofien in terms of risk reduction can help you make choises down the line if you need to. Risk is not straightforward, either, there are other factors, like diet and exercise that help with risk reduction. Key is to understand your own situation and risk, and then your can decide based on evidence and data. Also, keep talking about concerns and changes to your breast care team and also GP, as they can other options and help. If your try it and start to struggling, then reach out.
Its tough and daunting but its a drug aimed to help though it should be balanced with your quality of life. x