Starting chemo 27th March

Got the dreaded call this morning my onco score was 31. I had 25mm cancer with no lymph node involvement, grade 3 stage 2 er+. I’ll be getting 4x 3 weekly cycles of chemo starting 27th of March and then 5 sessions of radiotherapy. I’ve to get a heart scan before this had chest scan last week and all ok. My head is in a bit of a spin as I don’t know what type of chemo I’m getting, have to get flu jab tomorrow. I think I’m just ranting on here as I’m overthinking everything. Will I be sick, will I be sore etc etc. think I need to get back into my one day at time thinking .

2 Likes

Before I had chemo we went to the unit and was shown a film, had the chance to ask questions etc (same happened before radiotherapy started too). I imagine you will be given medication to take before each cycle (the morning of, I think) to help prevent sickness etc.
I wasn’t sick once. I did get tired and had a funny taste in my mouth but was surprised I wasn’t sick- and relieved.
Good luck. Soon be over.

2 Likes

Jean Ann, Thank you so much for your reply, this is reassuring. Do you mind me asking did you have your hair cut short before treatment.

Thanks xxxx

1 Like

I didn’t (and had shoulder length hair). I cold capped but lost a fair bit (and cut it then- never shaved) as I found out the hard way of the absolute importance of the cap being in direct contact with the whole of a wet scalp before starting. I lost a lot but it grew back pretty quickly. No curls. Dull grey at first but then back to my usual colour.

2 Likes

I’m unable to cold cap due to another condition, I’ve shoulder length hair and think I’ll get it cut very short a few days before I start chemotherapy or do I shave it unsure xxx I’ll give it a few days to process. It’s not the losing of hair I’m worried about just don’t know if it’s best to go really short first lol

1 Like

:heart: few tips, get your teeth checked at dentist, tell them you are starting chemo they will for you in. Get a thermometer so you can keep regular check of your temp during chemo. Please think about donating your hair to little princes trust, a lot of us have over the years, do get yourself booked on look good feel better at your Macmillan at your trust :heart: you will probably be shown around the combined day unit prior to starting chemo they did at my trust. At my trust those who had already started chemo were a great fountain of help and knowledge as were the bcn form threads here so do please look at joining the chemo thread for March which is already on here, everyone will reach out and help you navigate :heart: take it a day at a time :heart: ask away here too everyone will reach out :two_women_holding_hands::heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

I’m sure people on this site will have done just that. You might feel better going short first and shave later? Take it in stages? All best wishes xxx

2 Likes

I got diagnosed just before Xmas and started chemo on 15th January. I’m about to have cycle no. 4. Started on docetaxel along with Phesgo injections and I’m being swapped to EC at 5th cycle. It hasn’t been hardly as bad as I’d imagined or been told by others. I had my hair cut by a friend who did a no. 1 on me and I’m glad I did as the mental effect of hair loss hasn’t felt quite so overwhelming.
I’ve even managed to continue working a few hrs while having chemo (thank goodness for the ability to work from home).

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all your advice xxx

1 Like

Hi shi,
Thank you so much, for all your advice and tips. I will phone the dentist today and try and get an appointment
Xx

1 Like

Hi @jols68, thank you for replying glad to hear you’re doing so well. It’s great to hear positive stories. I think I’m going to do the same with my hair. It’s not the thought of having no hair, I just think it would be worse waiting for it to fall out. You’re doing amazing xxxx

2 Likes

:heart: if your antisickness meds don’t work, ring your team on rapid response number they will tweak them till they get right combination for you, don’t battle through thinking this is chemo :heart: step by step you will get through :two_women_holding_hands::heart: everyone here and bcn is here as much or as little as you need :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

Hey, it’s always a worry when you don’t know what’s coming or how your going to feel, chemo affects everyone differently, so my advice would be prepare for the worst but hope for the best and listen to your body.
If you are worrying, just ask the McMillan team they are always happy to answer your questions.
I wish you luck on your next journey.

2 Likes

Thank you so much xx

1 Like

@Paulypops67 thanks so much, I think it’s the unknown is the worse. I’ve been told chemotherapy starts the 27th but will have a heart scan first, no mention of going to treatment ward before to find any hi by out. I think I’ll phone them tomorrow xxx

1 Like

Good luck, come back on here if you have any questions me or the others will help if we can, I did seven rounds of chemo.x

1 Like

Not sure how many units do pre-visits any more. I was told that Covid stopped this happening at the chemo suite I went to and they never restarted them. Partly there is a lack of space in the suite to have a small group being shown round. The matron did tell me they were planning a video tour for people, which might be available in other centres.

Best of luck

2 Likes

@scientistamafier thanks for replying, I got all the information in the post today about what to expect and which chemotherapy regime I’ll be receiving. At least I know a bit more now. After reading some of the literature I think it’s probably best( for me) not to know too much xxx

1 Like

I understand your sentiment about not wanting to know too much. Some people need to know every detail in order to feel in control. Some prefer to know just enough for the next step. Only you can know what suits you.

Have you seen the chemotherapy monthly section on here? There is a group of March starters, but perhaps the April group might be better since you are starting near the end of the month. You could post in both as well if you fancy.

You don’t mention which chemotherapy you are having. I had four sessions of Abraxane (nab-Paclitaxel) and found I had minimal side effects (and those were short lived). I had a couple of days off work after overdoing things, but otherwise have carried on more or less as normal.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll join the April group, I’ll see how I get on and might need to join the March group. I’m having 4 cycles every 3 weeks of Cyclophosphamide & Doxorubicin. As you can guess I’ve read up on them and know Doxorubicin dosent sound great :see_no_evil:

1 Like