Starting chemo before surgery

Hi everyone. Saw oncologist yesterday and first chemo booked for Thursday 4 EC &I then 4 Docetaxol - terrified!! Have appt to sort out wig and looking for some turbans/scarves -trying to be practical but feel quite overwhelmed at times. I am working & plan to work as much can’t afford not to and do t want this to take over my life. Any tips for the first chemo welcome - should I eat as normal day before &a breakfast or better to cut back? Thank you

Hi DPD,

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling anxious about chemotherapy. In regards to tips to prepare, I hope this article helps: breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/vita-magazine/vita-blog/ten-tips-getting-through-chemo

Do also feel free to post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have about chemo and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Hi DPG you will be finexx

have breakfast first thing as usual…and drink at least a litre  of water before you go. You need to be well nourished and well ydrated so they can find a vein. They will look after you.xx

i had pre op chemo in 2001 as they were trying to shrink the tumour to minimise the amount of surgery they had to do…very good planxx

yes, get your wig sorted, but hair is unlikely to fall off completely at once.  Wash it less often, do it under the shower with baby shampoo/simple shampoo and cond. let the shower rinse it off, dont rub or knead just pat the product on and let it wash out.

dry very gently with a towel, no rubbing. And let it finish drying without any hot appliance…comb gently.you may keep it longer.

afterwards, eat small meals more frequently of things you like to eat. Rest when you need to.( no grapefruit ) the chemo nurses will put you right.

There are various threads on here with tips about chemo…but you have time to gen up.

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Top-tips-and-practical-support/Chemothe

best of luck and let us know how it goesxx

Hugs, Mojan???

Thanks for the advice-didn’t think about the fluids!