Starting Chemo, June 2010

Hi Ladies wishing you well with your FEC Sandra hope you get a date sorted out soon it is all the waiting isn’it? I have now finished my FEC ( at least for now I think)I had the cold cap for about 20 mins or so before they gave the E Epirubicin ( WAs told this was the fiercest on the hair follicles) so they like to get the scalp cooled down.Then the cap was swopped for a new one. The E was given via 2 syringe loads into the cannula by the nurse. I had already been given anti-sickness injs. The F and C were then put through by drips. After they were all finished I had to sit with cold cap on for about another 20 mins or so.Obviously some units do it a bit differently. What did surprise me was the large number of meds to take home for s/e, the just in case ones. I am the worlds worst wimp but I did manage to work through the chemos and on the days of treatment too. Looking back not sure why I did that, but I have no children to look after etc and I did have chemo before surgery which I think may have made a difference too.The nurses on the chemo unit were lovely too. So message is we are all so different and just take each one as it comes. LOL to you all will have everything crossed for you this week.Jackie

I always have a bed for chemo, I had the epi through syringe with two bags of saline, cc on 45 mins before epi start and then they count two hours after epi has gone in the f&c with saline. Dex gives you a steroid glow! After allergic reaction now on tax, this given over three hours by drip and the two hours for cyclophosphamide again with saline flush, dex, piriton and zofran by drip. CC on 45 mins before and that makes a long day! Still lost most my hair but paxman says cc can help with regrowth! Was advised to take anti sickness regularly at home as once proper sickness started it’s harder to sort. This cycle had emend and it really did the trick! Hair fell out day 20 after first fec. Now have nice dark nails to stop them going with the tax! Be gentle to yourselves! X Tina
PS Sandra, I had 8 weeks between surgery and first chemo, alwful all that waiting! Hated it and once I got started it was so much better! Well, not better but you know what mean!!! Good luck!

Sandra, they told me that the epi has to be mixed with saline as it can really damage your vein. So the salilne dilutes, to stop it burning. Sounds scary, but it wasn’t. My nurse told me just to say if I felt any flaring or pain and she’d slow down. I didn’t, and it was fine. Hope you get your appointment through soon. Call them, I would. It’s fair enough to need to know.

Tina, my timing on cold cap was same as yours. I didn’t know the cold cap can help with re-growth. That’s interesting. How long after starting chemo did your hair start to go with it? I’ve been thinking at best the cold cap might help me keep it for a month longer than not using it. Can’t believe how long your treatment takes…!

Jackie, congrats on getting through your FEC. Does that mean you’re through chemo, or onto Tax now? hope it’s the former…!

Suze, glad you’re through too. We must be on the same day, as I was Thursday too. Hope you’re not still feeling sick. I am a bit. We’ll have to both ask to try something else next time.

Hi Juile, ask for Emend, it’s the most effective anti sickness according to my chemo nurse. Results with the paxman cc vary, they told me on fec that most users kept between 50-90% of their hair, most of mine went on day 20 first cycle fec. Just unlucky really, but they have anecdotal evidence of regrowth during treatment so I am trying again, even though now my head is so bald the cap is a real mind over matter and I am dreading it… It’s not for vanity but being without my hair has been the worst thing about chemo for me and I can’t even put it into words properly! Suze, hope you feel some improvements soon! X

Hi everyone

These thread as so useful for finding out what the treatments are going to be like. I just met the onc team and I pointed out that they had not mentioned menopause. They had forgotten it! I would never have been able to do that if it wasn’f for this forum.

Anyway I’m getting 3x Fec and 3x Tax- no surprise there. But won’t be starting until after the 19th. We specifically asked as we are meant to be away that weekend. So on one hand am pleased we can go on the other hand why are they not in more of a hurry!

Julie thanks for the inside info.

Good luck everyone- will be reading so I know what to expect. debx

Congratulations Gill! One under your belt, hope you have a good nights sleep
Hugs
Sandra xxx

Well done Gill. Hope the SE’s are mild and you get plenty of rest. Take care debx

Yeay Gill!! That’s great. Hope you’re still feeling not too bad and got a good night of sleep.

Hi

I started chemo (FEC) also yesterday 7th June and feeling very sorry for myself. I have been ‘fine’ about everything else so far but this is horrible, thank god i haven’t got to go back for 3 weeks! I know i have to do this but the waiting the cold cap the drugs then being sick was just too much, oh then my hair might fall out!! i was at the hospital from 10.30 till 6.30 and started being sick from 7.30 til 1.30 in the morning… long old day. So far today i have managed to keep down one bit of dry toast and 5 anti-sickness pills, still feel sicky and scared to eat.

Sorry for the whinge…

Darcyb x

Hi Darcyb, whinge away I say. I had a grim first day after, but by the afternoon felt loads better. Sleep when you can and keep drinking lots. Do eat if you can, as it helps to line your stomach, which stops the nausea. If you can’t eat, then sips of water at least are essential. I’d bet when you wake you’ll feel a lot more your old self. Hope so anyway. Am sending you a huge virtual hug xj

Hi Ladies,
Just had the ‘call’ chemo starts this friday 11th June 2010 at 2pm
Oh l said that was quick!! Lol after all this wait!
Help
Sandra xxx

Sandra, that’s great news. Far better to know when than to be waiting. You’re a week and a day after me. Anything you want to know, just ask and I’ll try and help. Am sure the others will too. Try not to get too stressed about it. It’s definitely do-able. xj

Yippee! How strange are we celebrating. Glad it is sorted. Debx

Glad to say I’m still doing weel after first FEC on 2nd, no ausea since 1st day and as long as I pace what I do in the day and schedule several lie-downs n the day, managing to be out & about pretty well. Have to agree with Tina, my onc nurse says the same - that Emend is the bee-knees as far as anti-sickness goes, and added to any others they can throw at you seems to give the best chance for fewer SE’s.

Sandra - so glad to hear you have your start date…start revving up the engine ready for take-off!

Darcy - hope the nausea is subsiding - start planning with your onc nurse how he/she is going to help get the next cycle better - that is what they are there for…to make sure the SE’s are controlled as best they can be - and the best people to tell them how we feel is us…then they can tweak the drug timings to get better management. (that’s my rant over - in general I have nothing but praise for the onc nurses who help us through this process but it frustrates me that the management seems so varied in different places)

Hi Everyone,
Can i join in please? I’m 37 with 3 kids 6,8, and 10. I was diagnosed in April and had a full left mastectomy. I havent been depressed yet and part of me has been loving giving up a bit of responsibility for a while, is that wierd? I think I may change my tune next week!
Like you Sandra I’m starting Chemo in 11th June. 6xTAC. I love the idea of seeing it as my friend so far I’ve been referring to it as poison. I vowed to sort the house out and clean my cupboards before it started but I’m here instead! Finding it very hard to think about anything else.
I’ve had my very long hair cut very short, it was traumatic but everyone says it looks fab and I should have done it ages ago. I’ve been amusing myself this week with a huge order of hats from suburban turban. I’m driving my family crazy trying to decide which ones to keep.
At every step so far the anticipation has been the worst thing so here’s hoping…

hi nem,
i too was on 6xTAC, my chemo finished a couple of months ago,also 4 weeks of rads, all done now!
would just offer a bit of advise before your first chemo, i found myself hugely constipated, my worst se in fact, so drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of veg and fruit before hand if you can.
i didnt find chemo too bad, though there are a few bad days, but we are all different, so good luck, i wish all you ladies well
mandyxx

Thanks Mandy,
Its nice to know it can go OK.
Also tip about constipation- I got hugely constipated after my operation - it was the worst thing for a while so it will be good to pre-empt it. I’m a bit confused about what remedies I can take with the chemo drugs but I’m planning to stock up on the prunes and have bought lots of fizzy water and posh cordial- ginger and lemongrass is my favourite.

Hi Nem, welcome to the mad house! You’re ahead of me on the hats. Must do that. Is Suburban Turban the place to shop?

Hope all are doing well today. I’m celebrating as my nausea’s finally decided to go. Day 6 - think I was a bit unlucky by the sound of it. Am going to beg for Emend for next round. Feeling pretty good now. Wish I’d got my tastebuds back though…