Starting letrozole

Is there an optimum time to commence letrozole ? Have had surgery 6 weeks ago ,biopsy showed incompete response to chemo, and radiotherapy .

Some oncologists say after radio . Some before .
I started mine 3 weeks post lumpectomy , radio started this week but I didn’t have chemo x

1 Like

Thanks ! I have a feeling they forgot to prescribe it after a meeting and I’ve been chasing it up for about 4 weeks ! Picking it up today!

Hi bella68

Thank you for posting and asking when the optimum time is to start letrozole.

Hormone therapy is usually started 4-6 weeks after surgery although as @klf says, when you begin depends on the preference of your oncologist. Some oncologists will prescribe hormone therapy to start alongside your radiotherapy and others recommend you start after radiotherapy has finished. Research suggests that there is not a significant survival benefit to either approach. It sounds as though you have now received your prescription but if you have any further questions about when to begin taking it, it may help to talk to your breast care nurse or treatment team.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

We are closed on Monday the 27th of May for the bank holiday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Katy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.