Still 4 weeks

Hi. It’s 2 weeks now since my WLE and SLNB. I’m recovering well but its still 4 whole weeks until my results appointment. Is a 6 week wait typical? I’m going out of my mind. I know nothing about how the surgery went, other than they did what was planned. I feel so alone and forgotten even though I know this isnt true. My mind is racing with what ifs. I’ve written down every possible outcome and combination of results. Just feel so anxious. I’ve read everything I can on oncotype dx. 4 more weeks seems so long. How can I get through the next 4 weeks?

The timescale seems to vary hugely across the country. My results appointment was scheduled for last Wednesday (4 weeks post surgery) but I had a call that morning to tell me that my results weren’t back from pathology. Apparently it wasn’t personal to me, the other ladies who had surgery with me were also affected. My new appointment is tomorrow (5 weeks) but it isn’t guaranteed. I’m trying not to overthink everything but it is easier said than done. All the best at this horrible time x

At least I’m not the only one…thank you. I really hope you get posotive news tomorrow. Please do pop on and let us know. I think I’m finding the waiting for these results harder than waiting for my surgery. I think it’s because there’s no contact. Before my op, there were appintments for rfid tag, pre-op assessment and the radioactive isotope, so I was busy! No it’s just me, google and this website. Good luck tomorrow. X

Hang in there. I waited 5 weeks for my histology results, but worse I’ve now waited 8 weeks for adjuvant chemotherapy (triple neg breast cancer). This freaks me out as the evidence shows 4 weeks post surgery gives the best outcomes.
Push for what’s right for you. However I do know that due to the volume and complexity of tests that they do once they have the whole tumor (compared to a biopsy) does mean it takes some time.

Hi @Vibby, thanks for your reply. It does make me feel less alone knowing others had to wait so long for histology too. But that is a long wait for your chemo and I bet you just want to get it done. I hope you get that started soon. I feel that treatment does seem to depend on where you are in UK. I’m in Birmingham and I guess a large population, means more waiting. I hope we both get to stop waiting soon. X

Tbh, I wish I’d never researched it, and when I asked the oncologist I expected him to say “it’s fine” but he didn’t, he agreed with me :disappointed:.
It’s a postcode lottery I’m sure.
The NHS is full of people trying to do a good job with limited resources, but when you’re on the receiving end and it could make the difference to whether your cancer comes back, it doesn’t make you feel any better.
My care had generally been rubbish and I’m sure that’s what’s made my state of mind such rubbish.

I waited 8 weeks for my results post surgery. There is a shortage of pathologists able to do these tests in my hospital and apparently elsewhere in the country. Also in my hospital the results go to the MDT before being given to the patient. Not sure if this is the case elsewhere, There was then a mix up with the admin staff over my followup appointment.

The waiting for results is awful and all sorts of scenarios go through your head.

Hi bluesatsuma

Thanks for your post.

People experience a wide range of emotions following a diagnosis of breast cancer and we know that waiting for results is particularly difficult. Some of these tips for managing anxiety might be helpful for getting through the next few weeks.

As others have suggested, waiting times for results vary from area to area. I wonder if you have had any contact with your breast care nurse. They offer information and support between appointments and can provide you with information about any local support services.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can often be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. You can be in touch with your volunteer by phone or email and they can share their personal experiences to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen to how you are feeling.

You can ring the Someone Like Me team on 0114 263 6490 or email them at someone.likeme@breastcancernow.org, so they can then match you to your volunteer.

I also wonder if you would like to call our helpline. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Val

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.