Storm Riders/A Town Called Determination

I think Gen (Riviera) has one. Is it also called a Port? She’ll let you know later no doubt.

I’ve got a portacath. Mine is all implanted under the skin with the access point being a small button under the skin in my chest, whereas I think a Hickman line has a tube coming out of the body - is that right?

I believe portacaths require less maintenance in terms of regular flushing etc but I’ve only had mine a week so I’m no expert. Nobody’s done a thing with it since it was put in although I’m expecting it to be used for chemo next week and imagine it will be flushed through then. Maybe. What do I know lol.

Still not been told when my chemo is starting. Somebody is meant to be phoning me, but don’t know who. But hey, it’s not like I’ve got a life or a job to go to next week or anything so last minute notice is fine. Pfft. Onc said to call her if I don’t hear anything by tomorrow, that’s looking rather likely at this rate! Grrr you’d think things would be smoother if you went private wouldn’t you? Not impressed so far.

I think that’s right. When I was in on Tuesday the lady next two me had two lines coming out of her chest, and when I think about it, she said Hickman.

Umm, how do they get to the small button under the skin on your chest? I mean, the skin on your chest is there. Have you suddenly acquired Terminator like abilities to peel your skin off then pat it back down again?

wiv a speshull needle. So I still get the needle sticking, they just have somewhere to aim at rather than my squiggly squoggly hand veins. Although I like your Terminator idea. Jez has taken to calling me Robocop since I had it put in.

I’m a little concerned that it might just hurt. However, since it doesn’t look as if I’m ever going to actually get chemo it’s all moot really. :smiley:

LMAO@ Your jokes last night, I’ve just returned from a long walk, round the local resovoir, with my two dogs and not a snow drop in sight here in Manchester. However it was a lovely walk, the weather has been quite mild this morning, although rain is on the way now. And wouldn’t you know it because I’m due at the quacks this afternoon and have no car today. I’m going for my official ultra sound results and yet another sick note.

I never mentioned yesturday but I was given the usual prescription for aquious cream yesturday and told to start aplying now twice a day. Don’t know if any of you want to start using it now in preperation for your rads, as you can buy it over the counter and its not very expencive. I’m actually not going to use it, as I can get E45 on prescription and the onc said that would be alright to use as I have no skin reactions to E45.

Carole I couldn’t resist reading you bordom antidotes to my OH and we howled laugthing at the eye poking one because its something we have both done in the past.

You’ll probably sleep a lot better once the soreness goes Sal. I remember being very conciouse of the possition I was lying in during the night and this made it a very light sleep indeed. After a couple of weeks though |I was back tomy usual fidgity self and getting shouted at all night for not keeping still and hogging the duvet. Although that has stopped now, what with the night sweats I’m forever throwing it off the bed.

Gen, if you dont here somrething soon, tell that onc of yours, The Storm Riders are coming to town.

Thats a good tip about the cool hair dryer Old One. I have been told to use a cool hair dryer after showering on effected area, instead of towel.

Welcome Tumbleweed and Storewoman :slight_smile: You’ll find everyone very friendly here and I’m sure the others will agree, when I say, we tend to keep each other going on this thread. The comradeship is wonderful.

God, I’m bored. Husband went to work today, so the first day on my own, which I was really looking forward to. Usually on such a day I’d go for a run or swim or do some gardening or something, but I can’t… and it’s winding me up big time:( I think maybe that’s why I can’t sleep. I spend all my working days on my feet and lifting stuff etc, being really active and my days off doing other stuff. I think my body is confused!!!

And my computer’s playing up. If I click on a link a new window pops up, but there’s nothing in it:/ However, just had a phone call from a friend and she’s popping round for a cuppa. Thank goodness for that, I’m starting to go stir crazy and it’s only been a week!!

I’ve had snowdrops in the garden for about a month, but I suppose you can’t get much further south than here. Good idea about the snowdrop walk Gen, must do some research. Maybe we can do that tomorrow, although hubby’s driving me nuts with the “don’t do too much” talks.

Jane, I sympathise. I’ve had night sweats off and on for about 8 years. It’s horrible - especially when you’re lying there and you’re sweating so much it’s running down your sides. Even my legs sweat! Then because you’re awake, you need to get up to go to the loo and the bed is soaking when you get back into it. I usually grab a towel and lie on that and turn the pillow over. Yuk. Now, however, I’m cold in bed. What’s that all about? Usually I get too hot to wear anything and now I’m wearing pjs and I’m still cold half the night. Sorry, I’m being a real moaner today.

To make up for it, here’s a great short joke.

Little Johnny was in the bath examining his testicles. He said to his Mum. “Are these my brains?” His Mum said “Not yet dear”.

See, silver lining to every cloud! No chemo, no poking about. :smiley:

Moan away dearest Mule! A good Heehaw does one the world of good. I have neither night sweats nor boredom at the moment. The night sweats haven’t started, and I’m running up and down stairs to vent the constipation med inspired flopbott on a regular basis. Hardly have a moment to sit down!

Best of luck on the ultrasound results Jane. This eye poking thing might just catch on. My fave is the falling off the kerb ravine one.

And another little joke at the expense of the male species:

This man was sitting quietly reading his paper one morning, peacefully enjoying himself, when his wife sneaks up behind him and whacks him on the back of his head with a huge frying pan.

MAN: “What was that for?”

WIFE: “What was that piece of paper in your pants pocket with the name Barbara Ann written on it?”

MAN: “Oh honey, remember two weeks ago when I went to the horse races? Barbara Ann was the name of one of the horses I bet on.”

The wife looked all satisfied, apologizes, and goes off do work around the house.

Three days later he is once again sitting in his chair reading and she repeats the frying pan swatting.

MAN: “What the heck was that for this time?”

WIFE: “Your horse called.”

Hi ladies and welcome to all new riders I can see I’ll be tossing pancakes for hours.I have a real old lady backache today prob from sitting too much in same position!I am also being plagued by my cat for whom the one desirable place to sit is the top of my bad leg.I may commit catricide soon.Daughter still hugely preggers and now confined to house by her anxious OH so I guess next time I see her will be post baby[exciting eh].I am feeling a bit worn today so forgive me for easing up on the chores.I will be back to normal soon.Love and Luck to all riders,
The Old One

The Hickman line is the one with the tube coming straight out of the skin - I guess you could call it a little bad guy cos it’s one more obstacle to a comfortable sleep.I think the visiting nurse previously worked on a construction site judging by the subtlety she used covering the exit site.
I need some advice about the horse - the only contact with these was 3 years ago when my late husband rode a horse called Siesta because it needed a prod so often , and I was given a mount called Mustang Sally even though it was a boy - what do you reckon ?

The old one - sorry to hear that your leg is playing up so much…:frowning:

just had a phone call off the breast cancer nurse to ask how i am doing… and she has suggested i need to have a dressing on my neck as well… :lol: so i am now going around looking like i have been attacked by dracula or something… lol subtle it is not… lol

hi all

before the chemo takes my hair wanted you all to see what i actually look like, but it helps to have a sister whose a photographer, took all the wrinkles and blotches out, it would be nice to look so well in real life. i have a couple of silly ones too which i may put up another day. i must have a sad life if the only fun i get is posting pics on a forum site.

any of the new members of the storm riders let me know your storm rider name and horses name. i take care of the horses, more evidence of my sad life,
storewoman is tumbleweed your name or your horses

i am keeping up with all thats going on with everyone.
take care
BlackJack aka martina

well howdi…been to see onc today…awaiting assessment for picc line and then get FEC x 3 and TAX x3, rads then tamoxifen - not sure re her2 results yet. So I hope I sleep better tonight…think I’ll rest up a bit…mary x

THERE ARE TWO DAYS IN EVERY WEEK ABOUT WHICH WE SHOULD NOT WORRY

ONE OF THESE DAYS IS YESTERDAY, WITH ITS MISTAKES AND CARES, ITS FAULTS AND BLUNDERS, ITS ACHES AND PAINS.
YESTERDAY HAS PASSED FOREVER BEYOND OUR CONTROL

ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD CANNOT BRING BACK YESTERDAY. WE CANNOT UNDO A SINGLE ACT WE’VE PERFORMED: WE CANNOT ERASE A SINGLE WORD WE SAID
YESTERDAY IS GONE

THE OTHER DAY WE SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IS TOMORROW WITH ITS POSSIBLE ADVERSITIES, ITS BURDENS, ITS LARGE PROMISE AND POOR PERFORMANCE. TOMORROW IS ALSO BEYOND OUR IMMEDIATE CONTROL.

TOMORROW’S SUN WILL RISE, EITHER IN SPLENDOUR OR BEHIND A MASK OF CLOUDS – BUT IT WILL RISE, UNTIL IT DOES. WE HAVE NO STAKE IN TOMORROW, FOR IT IS YET UNBORN

THIS LEAVES ONLY ONE DAY – TODAY.
ANY PERSON CAN FIGHT THE BATTLES OF JUST ONE DAY
IT IS ONLY WHEN YOU ADD THE BURDENS OF THOSE TWO AWFUL ETERNITIES – YESTERDAY AND TODAY – THAT WE BREAK DOWN.

IT IS NOT THE EXPERIENCE OF TODAY THAT DRIVES PEOPLE MAD – IT IS REMORSE OF BITTERNESS FOR SOMETHING WHICH HAPPENED YESTERDAY AND THE DREAD OF WHAT TOMORROW MAY BRING

LET US THEREFOR LIVE BUT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Never fear all new Storm Riders. We get everyone brought in on the next chapter. This is just to get the scene setting well under way.

Determination awoke to the sound of melting snow dripping into water butts, shutters spraying droplets of ice melt out over streets as they swung open. Boardwalks splashed under foot, and narrow streams of water wound their way along wagon tracks. The blizzard was over and late winter sun melted the cold blanket that had quietened the town.

The Storm Riders had holed up in the blacksmith’s loft last night, keeping an eye on their horses till they could get a measure of the town. Steel pulled on her boots as the others stirred.

“Morning Steel, where you off to?” asked Casey, yawning.
“Out” grunted Steel, and started to climb down the ladder.
“Well good morning back at ya!” groaned Casey, and rolled over again.

Steel headed over to Main Street, deciding to check out what accommodation Determination had to offer.

“Howdy ma’am,” she said as she approached the storekeeper who was busy sweeping dust out onto the boardwalk as she opened for the day.
“Howdy there stranger,” she smiled. “You need anything today? I’m just about to open up.”
“Not just yet, ma’am, but you could tell me what board there is around here.”
“Oh, well, you’ve got the hotel at the top of the street there, and the saloon’s got four rooms. There’s a boarding house off Station Road, and there’s plenty of folks round here will rent you a room. Just knock a few doors. Staying long?”
“A while,” said Steel. “Thanking you ma’am,” and she made to move off.
“If you’re hungry for breakfast, the hotel should be able to fix you up,” suggested the storekeeper.

That sounded good. Mule could make up a fine meal, but her coffee tasted like she stirred it with coyote tails. Steel headed for the hotel. The hotel keeper was a bit caught of guard with the early hour, but he got Steel sorted with coffee, bacon, eggs, and pancakes, and she settled in to it. An hour later she was looking down main street when she heard a horse and trap pull up beside her.

“Up early young’un. Things to do today?”

Steel looked round and saw and elderly woman smiling at her from a heavily blanketed trap. Her horse pawed gently at the road in front.

“Morning ma’am” said Steel. “Just looking for places to bed down for my friends and me.”
“That wouldn’t happen to be the four riders that came by my place yesterday, would it?” asked the woman. “One looked like she had a bad arm?”
“That’s them ma’am, there’s six of us.”
“I doubt there’ll be six for long,” she said, looking out towards the mountains.
“Come again, ma’am?” queried Steel.
“Oh you never mind me,” said the Old One. “Just wittering on. But about those beds. I’ve got a place just off the outskirts of town. Got four beds in the house, and a bunkhouse that’ll do twelve. I use it for the cow hands when the come through. Grazing for the horses, and a barn for the cold weather. If you don’t mind helping out an old woman around the place, you can bunk there for as long as your business takes. I won’t ask for more than the cost to feed you all. Busted up my leg a while back, so I could surely use some extra hands till I get fixed.” She tapped her walking stick against the blanket covering her leg. It thunked against a cast and metal.
“Well, ma’am,” said Steel “won’t the cow hands be needing the space?”
“There’s a loft in the barn. We can fit that out if needs be. Now, how about it young’un. You might find it an interesting stay, and if there’s one thing I can do, I can feed you well.”
“Be glad to take you up on that ma’am,” said Steel, almost smiling.
“Well, you fetch your friends and bring them on over today. Dinner’s at six, and we can all get acquainted.” And she urged her horse forwards, hooves and wheels splashing in the wet mud of the street.

“Hmmm” thought Steel, and headed down the street after her to find the others.

They were scattered through town. Mule was in the barbour shop with it’s only other customer. Casey and PonchoCat were in the store, Riviera had found the telegraph office and was sending to someone somewhere, and Blackjack was drinking coffee in the saloon.

“Mule,” said Steel through the barbour’s door. “Got us bunks outside town. Let’s get the others and take the horses over there.”

Mule thanked the barbour for the trim, paid him, and swung up out of her seat to follow Steel. They caught up with the rest, and the six of them moved off down main street to get the horses.

Standing at his office window, Sheriff Dan York watched them with interest.

“Tod,” he said to his deputy, the only one that had made it in yet. “You were talking to one of them yesterday. How do they feel?”
“Uh yes, Dan I was. And the one they call Mule, well she feels pretty hard, I mean I gave her a shot of moonshine….”
“Tod” sighed Sheriff Dan, “How many times have I got to tell you not to mention the moonshine in this office? Hmmm?” Tod was a handy man to have around, but he and his pa had drunk enough of that stuff to be just one stave short of the barrel sometimes.
“Uh, sorry, Dan. What were you asking?”
“Are they trouble, Tod, or can we rely on them?”
“Oh, I see,” said Tod, understanding. “Well, I don’t think they’re looking for trouble, but they sure ain’t going to run from it if it comes looking. Are you thinking they could help, Dan.”
“I’m thinking we should have a talk with them,” mused the Sheriff. “Explain a few things about Determination and see what comes back. Why don’t you go invite them up here, Tod.”
“Sure thing, Dan,” said Tod eagerly, and grabbed his hat and coat as he pushed out the door. He’d been impressed with the way the one called Mule had managed the moonshine. If they were all that tough, they might just be what the town had been needing.

On the other side of the street, the barbour’s other customer stood at the window drying his face, watching Tod leave the Sheriff’s office and follow the six strangers down Main Street. Without a by your leave to the barbour or any offer to pay, he strode out of the shop, unhitched his horse, and headed out of town towards the ranch. The Boss would find this interesting, he thought, very interesting.

Ah, I thought somebody was getting something today. At last you know what you’re getting Mary. Good stuff. You’ll definitely sleep easier now. Wonder why we get different drugs? Any idea when you start?

Nice photo Martina! You’re sister’s really good. I was just saying something similar to another lady on another thread about dealing in the now, not the past or future. It’s very buddhist, and very true. If only I could get the hang of it. :0)

Tumbleweed, I’d go with Siesta personally. I know nothing about horses except in my imagination, but I’m loving the idea of a horse that keeps dosing off just when you need him! Zorro-esque, :smiley:

I’ve got you sorted out with extra hands for the chores Old One, so you rest up. Riviera picked up a telegram for you from town. Sure to be an update from your daughter.

Hmmm, seems like you need to buy an extra bandana for that neck of yours when you get into town Silver Streak. We could always do a Scooby Doo version with a western Dracula ghost terrorising the town!

Tumbleweed’s the name and Siesta’s my dozy old nag - we’re on the way

ok carol heres what i got

CAROL AKA STEEL/RUNS WITH LIGHTENING
HORACE AKA THE OLD ONE/KIWI
MARY AKA PONCHO-CAT/FOLLY
GENNIE AKA RIVIERA KID/FLASHHEART
SAL AKA CARIAD/MULE
ROSIE AKA CALAMITY JANE/VALENTINE
SANDRA AKA SCOTIA/SPIRIT
NIKKI AKA RED/BREEZE
PURPLE AKA VEGAS KID/ROCKY
JANE AKA CASEY/JET
MARTINA AKA BLACKJACK/JACK
STOREWOMAN AKA SIESTA/TUMBLEWEED

THERESA AKA ?/SILVERSTREAK
WENDY ??

have you any updates on this. i know that gettin the names and horses names is not essential, but i feel like im being useful.and i enjoy being involved in the story.

martina

ooh i think i will have calypso as my horse…:smiley:

rhapsodyangel aka ?/caplyso

sorry i am theresa - silverstreak…:smiley: