Struggling to cope

Hello everyone. Diagnosed 2014. Mastectomy, chemo rads. Diagnosed in other breast August 23. Mastectomy, rads.
I had a full body ct and bone scan at the end of september.
I have had a painful arm since rhe beginning of dec. That travels in my shoulder and sometimes my middle back ( not spine to rhe right of my spine) my bloods are fine my chest x ray was clear. The pain is constant, sometimes gets worse but never not there. Paracetamol make it better except my arm pain which is round my elbow is always there when i move. Pain is not extreme.
I saw surgeoun and he said i need a shoulder mri.
I am so worried im not functuoning. Im pulling my family apart. I have asked for counselling but the lists are really long. I can only describe extreme fear. Im not sleeping at all. Not functioning on a daily basis. I just want to be in bed.
How likely is it to be something cancer related when i had clear scans just over 2 months ago?

8 Likes

Hi @Treasures

I’m so sorry to hear that you are having a horrible time.

You can get six free counselling sessions with Macmillan id you want to try counselling. I’ve had three so far, and they are really helping. As are my chats with ‘Someone like Me’ via Breast Cancer Now.

Try one or both of these. I’m sure they’ll help. I’m finding this all very overwhelming too, and I’m really at the start of it all, struggling with post Mx and ANC (19th Dec) nerve pain right now.

Sending love :kissing_heart:

Karen x

3 Likes

So sorry you are feeling like this. From personal experience it sounds as though the pain you are having could be compression on a nerve. I’ve had a similar injury twice with pain from the base of my neck down my shoulder blade but also across my shoulder and down my arm - very noticeable at the elbow and wrist , sometimes into the fingers . Mine was not cancer related either time though the BCNs did check me out last year when it flared up again after 12 years. On both occasions there was not really any one thing I had done that I could point to as a cause and it was completely different to the pain I had experienced on the same side from a rotator cuff injury.

I understand your anxiety - it occurred to me too that mine might be something nasty and having been through it twice it must be so much harder for you .
However if it’s helped by Paracetamol then perhaps it’s a muscular / skeletal injury that you’ve sustained somehow. If you do have a compressed nerve the pain that can cause in the arm can be far worse than that If the injury . If you’re able to take Ibuprofen that may help . You could also ask for a Physio assessment . Some of the cancer centres offer treatments to people who have had cancer which can include massage and acupuncture either of which might help your pain.
You could also ask the BCNs to refer you to their Breast Physio .

It could be a side effect of treatment as you spent many years having had one side done and maybe that side was weak / tight after treatment your body may have been over reliant on the side that has just been done and needs to relearn how to move / hold itself. Last year I did some somatic Yoga with other BC sufferers run by a tutor who had also had BC . It was incredible which areas were tight / painful / out of balance in all of us and we all got a lot of benefit from the release that this practice gave us .

If your pain responds to any of these things or other measures ( I see an Osteopath from time to time ) then hopefully that will help you to feel less anxious about recurrence but by all means reach out to your BCN and see if they can get you checked over .

With love
Joanne

3 Likes

I appreciate both of your replies so much. Yhank you for taking time out of your day to reply, thats so lovely.
Thank you too for the reassurance and advice. I find it so difficult to think its nothing when the pain keeps reminding me. I generally feel rubbish…im often nauseus and im exhausted. I have no energy or get up and go to do anything. A friend is going through chemo at the moment and she has so much more energy than me.
My partner is really fed up with me as my anxiety and fear is hugely impacting on family life.
My MRI is booked so I’ll wait and see. I hate scans - as im sure we all do!
My BCN is less than supportive. She is quite rude and blunt ( I think she is sick of me too!) Shes also super hard to get in contact with. Im often unsure where to go for support or advice. Ive rang macmillan several times so I will ask them about counselling, thank you.
Im praying that clear scans 3 months ago means a positive outcome.
Love and best wishes to you both xx

7 Likes

Sorry for all the typos!

2 Likes

Hi again just to say I hope that you’re able to access some counselling and that your scan goes well.

I know it’s hard but try not to compare yourself with your friend as you are at different stages in your treatment - it’s quite common to sail through surgery rads and even chemo and then struggle afterwards . This is your time to process .

You will need to get your scan done and the results first but have you thought about doing a Moving Forwards course at all - I found this to be very helpful. Also as @casey4jc mentioned perhaps the Someone Like Me service might be able to match you with someone who has had a similar history and that might be helpful.

Joanne x

3 Likes

Thank you, Joanne. I will get the scan out of the way and then look into this. I definitely need help.

4 Likes

I had triple negative in 2021 years and all the treatments chemo mastectomy and radio, then six months later it came back, it just plays with your head, you notice every small ache and pain and can’t help thinking it is cancer. I have kept busy and working to occupy my mind, also it makes my body tired so I sleep ok, I m not letting this get me down, try to keep positive and know that we are all rooting for you and here should you need to offload.

4 Likes

We’re thinking of you @treasures.
Some great advice and support in these answers. Please know that our breast care nurses are always here to talk things through over the phone 0808 800 6000.

Sending our warmest,
Lucy

Happy Friday Seagull

Wishing you health and happiness going forward.

You are just what the doctor ordered, your knowledge and comments are outstanding. You’re so needed on this site. Keep the good work up. I personally always enjoy reading your posts. Well done to you.

With love Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow: