Struggling with anxiety after breast clinic referall

Hi there,

I recently found a lump in my breast and saw a GP who referred me to the breast clinic. At the time I was also dealing with an unexpected redundancy and as a single woman in London, didn’t have the time to think about it so have been pretty calm!

I’m back in work and received my breast clinic appointment, having read the booklet, I wasn’t expecting to go through all the tests so soon and its sent me into a terrible spiral of anxiety.

I am only 33 but my Grandmother and her sister both developed breast cancer in their 20s and both had multiple further cancer diagnoses and eventually passed away. I’ve also been experiencing night sweats and dizziness (which could be anxiety related!)

I’ve kept all this to myself as my family is having a challenging time and my friends have recently supported me through redundancy and I hate to overload them but I’m really freaking out now!

Sorry for the long post but I feel the need to get it all out in the open!

Dear Emid,

Welcome to the forum where you will be able to unload any problems and anxiety that you may have. We have all been there and now with here for you.

There is always so much to take in at first, but I promise this will all fall into place. A little suggestion a notepad so you can scribble down some notes at home to asked consultant at your appointment, you will also have a breast cancer nurse with you, they are kind and understanding.

I know you’re feeling concerned as you have had family members with Breast Cancer, however one day at a time at the moment, wishing you health and happiness going forward. Please come back and let us know how your getting on

Biggest hugs Tili :rainbow::pray::rainbow:

1 Like

Hello @emld91

Once you have been referred to breast clinic it’s standard to get an appointment quickly so don’t read anything into that. Most women who are referred to the breast clinic turn out not to have cancer - though that may not help you right now .The dizziness and night sweats may be anxiety related - I had labyrinthitis quite a few years ago and still suffer with dizziness if I get stressed . Might be worth asking your GP though especially if they persist.

I’ve read a lot of posts on here about people being anxious about telling family and friends / not wanting to burden them / not wanting to add to their problems/ not sure who to tell and when and this is a situation we have all been through and there isn’t a right or wrong answer . However if you are close to your family you may find it hard to hide the fact that something is worrying you which will tell them you’re hiding something and they will wonder why. I would suggest picking a good trustworthy friend to talk to initially - it helps believe me , but don’t tell everyone and certainly leave work out of it for now .

A lot of us feel that waiting is in many ways the hardest part of this so just try to keep busy and get through a day at a time . Try to do some things that you love - finding little islands of happiness in a world of worry helped me. I’m so sorry about your family history and see how that must be playing on your mind but if the worst were to come to the worst then treatments have moved on an awful lot in the last few years.

Keep posting if you need to and let us know how it goes.

Joanne x

1 Like

Hi! I’m in a similar boat. I just turned 30 in early Jan. Found lump in Dec. Scans done 2 weeks ago and currently waiting for a biopsy to determine if it’s malignant. It is so nerve-racking. Get all the tests as soon as you are able, and be an advocate for your health that’s what I’ve learned so far. I hope everything turns out ok for you!

1 Like

Hi @emld91, I hope you find the forum a useful and safe place where to express your feelings. You mention you aren’t able to share your experience with your family and friends, so especially at this time I hope the forum is a space where you know you don’t need to hide or put on a brave face.
If you think speaking to one of the nurses on our helpline is useful for you, please know we are here for you. You can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). You can find more info here: Contact our nurses | Breast Cancer Now

Sending our best wishes
Bernard

Hi emld91,

Hope your keeping well have you had all your tests done now? Im currently waiting for my hospital appointment spoke to a doctor on Monday over the telephone about my family history absolutely freaking out after being told im at greater risk as my sister had metastatic breast cancer and passed away in 2011 aged 35 did they offer you the medication that can potentially reduce your risk?? My depression has got worse and my anxiety is tho the roof waiting for an app date

I hope you have managed to speak to your family or friend’s its important to have some support x

1 Like