Sudden mastectomy date

I had my appointment today to discuss surgery for 14th August. Then the surgeon said she had a free slot for Wednesday afternoon. Alllllll the feelings, emotions and shock, even the BCN was shocked. They want it out, I want it out but wasn’t prepared for so soon! It’s definitely a blessing but ohhhhhhh I’m getting my whole boob removed on Wednesday!

6 Likes

Shock but definitely better than sitting around anticipating it for weeks. Wishing you speedy healing x

Wow that really was sprung on you! But why not, the sooner the better I say :slight_smile:

Wishing you all the best

That must have been such a shock but believe me, having waited for three weeks with all the fears, tears and ups and downs that the wait brings, this is a good thing even if it doesn’t feel like it right now. My mastectomy is also tomorrow morning. Wishing you all the luck in the world x

2 Likes

Hi!

Totally agree with all the other replies. Yes it’s unsettling to have the surgery suddenly thrust upon you but think how relieved you’ll feel when the cancer has gone. Just one more sleep until you’re on the road to recovery and whatever preventative treatment you need to keep it gone!

All the very best for your surgery!

A

Wishing you speedy healing too x

You know what they say - better out than in!

Yes shock, but much less time to dwell.

Good luck!

Did you have the op? How are you feeling? Feel free to message me. I’m not too bad today, not much pain but still numb. Swollen so bad though x

2 Likes

Hi, like you I am happy for you or anyone to message me but I have replied on the forum in case it’s helpful for anyone else. On the whole, it was all less scary and less painful than you might imagine. Today I am a little sore and stiff but nothing that can’t be controlled by paracetamol and ibuprofen. I have been out for a while this morning, just some gentle walking around but I do have a tendency to overdo it so I’m resting now. I am disappointed that I had a complete lymph node clearance but better safe than sorry I suppose.

How was it for you? How are you feeling? x

2 Likes

I too had complete lymph node removal. My surgeon said she loved removing them as my chest tattoo made them grey and black. I cant stop moving I’m a mum of 3, but I’ve been resting when I can. I feel useless at times as I literally do everything and now everyone is chipping in. Pain is minimal but the feeling of squidgy swelling is nuts. It turns my stomach. I’m itchy but can’t quite feel what I’m scratching. Bloated so so bad too x

Same here, I am 67 so no small children but my husband still works so I’m used to doing everything. My husband, son and daughter-in-law are being amazing but I hate asking for help and being waited on. I’m also used to being really active and walking miles every day and I’m quite confused about how much I should be doing. No pain but I also hate the swishy feeling, almost like water sloshing in your chest :confused: My biggest issue is that my arm is completely numb from the elbow all the way up and under my armpit. No one seems sure if it could be permanent nerve damage, it may be months before we know for sure x

1 Like

If its sloshing I would speak to your care nurse as it may need draining. I saw my surgeon on Friday and she said as long as you cant hear it moving its ok. As for the numbness it may take months or never completely go away. I’m still numb in places from my c sections years ago. Sending you gentle hugs. Just do what is comfortable for you, listen to your body. Im more uncomfortable this morning and have a bit of pain and itchiness!! x

Good luck, I had to wait 6 wks for mastectomy would rather have had your scenario. You’ve got this.

They said to expect some sloshing, I don’t think it’s excessive just a bit yuck! I also feel more uncomfortable today, I think I expect too much, I expect every day to be better than the last and it doesn’t work like that. I think I may have been overdoing it a bit too so I’m having a quiet day to day :slightly_smiling_face: Take care x

1 Like

That happened to me in ‘24. App on the Monday OFF on the Wednesday - perfect for me no time to think! :heart: