Supplements post Breast cancer

Hello
I had estrogen positive breast cancer in 2006. I had 10 years of Tamoxifen.
I know it is a long time ago but I still get anxious about taking supplements.

Are there any supplements I shouldn’t take if I have had estrogen positive breast cancer?
The reason I ask is because I now have severe vaginal atrophy and cannot take HRT.
I was wondering if sea buckthorn or quecercetin supplements are safe to take if you have had estrogen positive breast cancer.
I have heard both help vaginal dryness and atrophy.
I don’t want to take anything that increases estrogen and want to check both.
I am clutching at straws to try and alleviate my VA and frequent UTIs.
Any advice appreciated.

Hi yesnik

Thanks for posting on our forum

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our helpline is open from 9am tomorrow.

If you do phone our helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses service co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

The BC nurses will be along to respond …but just to say have a look at the 2023 research paper on vaginal eostrogen therapy use and survival in females with BC …my team are happy for me to use vaginal pessaries …they say the risk of the oestrogen passing into the bloodstream is minimal compared with HRT …definitely talk it through with your GP though if you not still under cancer care team…it also depends on how you feel …i surprised myself…as im very risk averse…but was getting so many utis that i had to weigh up the risk and my quality of life …and having had surgery, chemo, rads, biphosphonates and an AI i feel like i have protected myself as well as i could…but the research paper has been a game changer my GP/BCC nurse said…as previously it wouldnt even have been a consideration

Thank you for this information. It is very helpful and gives me hope.:blush:

Hello @yesnik

VA is horrendous. I had triple negative BC and HRT is not really an option. I tried the sea buckthorn and it didn’t work for me, neither did Health and Her supplements or estriol or vagifem from the GP My oncologist allowed me to have Ospemifene which I believe to be a SERM not HRT and this has helped massively with bringing the moisture back and stopping the thrush.

Hope you find your way xx

1 Like

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.
I am seeing a gynacologist about my VA soon so fingers crossed.:blush:
Your input has really helped.

Hello yesnik

Thanks for posting.

It’s understandable that you’re asking if you can take any supplements when you have severe vaginal atrophy.

Many people ask about vitamin and herb supplements as they want to do as much as possible to be healthy. There is often the belief that vitamins and herbs are safe as they are considered natural.

There is much we don’t know about supplements and herbal remedies. Herbal treatments don’t have to comply with the same regulations or rigorous testing that conventional medicines do. For many products there is a lack of research to support their use, and some can interfere with conventional medicines including cancer treatments. So it’s natural to still feel anxious about supplements.

We cannot say if sea buckthorn is safe for you to take.

You can search this American website, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, for information about individual herbs and vitamins. Each has sections on existing evidence and what known interaction there is with other medications. You may find that that some herbs have different names in America. You can also search herbal products and supplements on the European website Complementary and Alternative Medicine for cancer and on the American website Medicine Plus

I imagine you have been discharged a while from your treatment team but its good to see you have a referral to a gynaecologist soon.

They will take into account your past medical history when deciding what might help.

You can also ask their opinion on supplements.

Our booklet Your body intimacy and sex booklet also has information about vaginal dryness.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.