Support for husbands and partners

Hi All,

My husband and I have created a Men support Group for cancer care-givers in Taunton, Somerset.
We are just starting, but if you are down this end of the Country and would like to join my husband in the group, please just give us a shout.

Email: Fightingtheimpossiblegroup@gmail.com or find us on Facebook.

This is our story and why we decided to found this group.

What do we do?
Our group offers male cancer-caregivers the opportunity to share experiences and provide practical and emotional support to each other, as well as enjoy a good chat over a drink.

Our story

Hi everyone, my name is Adam. My wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in December 2019 after been misdiagnosed a few months before, we were both 37. We had our small family (two beautiful kids; our son was 3 years old at the time, and our daughter was only 6 months), our little world together, but when we found out about my wife’s cancer diagnosis, I felt as though our lives were turned upside down.

I knew next to nothing regarding what she would have to go through, and even less so about how much this was going to affect me emotionally. My wife was incredibly well looked after and supported by her doctors, nurses, support staff, family, myself, etc. and I was extremely grateful for that. However, I felt as though I couldn’t talk to anyone, at least not to anyone that would have understood what I was going through.

There wasn’t a place where I could just get the stress out, where I could open up and share my fears. I feared losing my wife. I was scared my kids may lose their mother. I felt I had to stay strong, to be the rock of the family (even when internally I was in pieces). Whilst there may be resources for online support, this wasn’t what I felt I needed, as it can be much harder to share on a virtual channel. I believe that if I could’ve talked to someone who understood what I was feeling, it would have helped me a lot.

My wife and I have often talked about how nice would be to find a group, where men could turn up for face-to-face support, but unfortunately, we were in the middle of the pandemic and not much could be done about it. Since then, we have come across many people in a similar situation to our family who share the same feelings. Cancer has been part of our lives for over 3 years now, and we think it’s the right time for us to give back and provide some support to those men going through the same.

This is why we have founded the ‘Fighting The Impossible’ group; if you are man who has someone close to you with cancer and feel the need to talk to someone, please come along, we are here to help each other. Together we are stronger.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing that .

1 Like

Thank you for this. I am just outside Taunton. My partner appears quite chilled about the prospect of my mastectomy next week, and what follows probably because I am not outwardly panicking. Neither of us really know what is coming so I passed your details to him anyway so he can make contact if he starts to feel that he is struggling. He has had a very tough 18 months himself healthwise and the role reversal has come about very suddenly.

2 Likes

Of course, we are here to help each other.
Our next meeting is on October 4th October, if he feels like popping in for a drink and a chat.

2 Likes