Supporting my mum with Breast Cancer/her worries

Hi all,

Thank you to anyone who is reading this (already, after reading other people’s posts, I feel a bit more at ease!).

My mum got diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer around 6 weeks ago now, and she (thankfully) has amazing support around her, and my sisters and I are all trying to do the best we can to be there for her.

She had an operation (lumpectomy and 1 or 2 lymph nodes removed) 2.5 weeks ago now, and is struggling with the recovery (feeling fed up, in pain, and anxious/ worried she is being a burden - it probably doesn’t help that she is naturally quite anxious anyway).

Last night she accidentally reached to grab something with her left arm (where her lymph node was removed) and feels a sharp pull in her arm whenever she moves it. I’m trying to reassure her that maybe it’s just from straining it and hopefully will subside, and obviously after being in intense surgery (only a couple of weeks ago) she needs to allow her body more time to heal. My family are all new to this so any advice or words of reassurance would be hugely appreciative! Also, if anyone else can relate to the pain caused by having lymph nodes removed? It seems to be more uncomfortable for her than the lumpectomy! I’ve tried to research recovery time but google seems a bit vague.

Thank you all,
Ella

4 Likes

Hi Ella , welcome . It’s very early days with healing and I think most people find the wound under your arm far more uncomfortable than the scar in your breast . I think it’s a combination of there being more nerve endings there ,the dampness of your underarm and the amount of stretching that part of your arm does .Please come back and ask whatever questions you need to . Best wishes Jill

4 Likes

You can sometimes get something called cording (axillary web syndrome) after surgery.

I developed this with my axillary lymphnode clearance.

I spoke to my breast cancer nurse who booked me physio but I actually just found some exercises on YouTube to help stretch the cording.

Mine was from my armpit to my inside elbow and was rather painful.

And honestly I found the lymphnode surgery site more painful than my mastectomy! I had alot of issues with seromas( build up of fluid) and infection which didnt help but can sympathise with her that it feels more sore. I described to my partner and family that i felt id been scooped out with a spoon!

And as its not been a big period of time since her op Id definitely speak to her breast nurse for an opinion.

Im a year on since my right mastectomy and nearly 10 months since my left mastectomy and node clearance I still get twinges and tightness. Definitely keep up with the exercises they give you.

All the best :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi @lizella

Welcome to the forum. It is full of kind, helpful people like @Jill1998 and @KirstieF and I hope you find the support you are looking for - for yourself and your mum.

Please do have a look through the various boards and topics to find those going through similar experiences or for places you may be able to share your experiences and knowledge.

Please know that our nurses are here for your mum and your family any time, here on the forum on the Ask our Nurses your questions or over the phone 0808 800 6000.

Sending our love,
Lucy

2 Likes

I can remember the pulling sensation your mum refers to. I can say it felt totally unnatural at the time, and I recall wondering how long it would take to reduce/go way, as I felt like I was trying to rip my ribcage when doing my overhead arm stretching exercise. I can now say that the sensation is normal and that it does reduce/diminish with time. I’d say one thing to make sure of is that your mum is doing the arm stretching exercises that she would have been given by the CNS/Breast care nurse.

It is very early days for her as it’s only been a couple of weeks since her surgery. So be mindful of that and not overdo it. Prior to my surgery I moved items down from shelves, so that I wouldn’t end up having stretch higher during the initial 4 week period after surgery (I had a mastectomy & SLNB, thereafter a second surgery to remove further axilla lymph nodes), placing emphasis on doing the exercises 3 times a day consistently to help with regaining range of arm movement.

Wishing your mum well. If you have any other questions, do come back. This is a wonderful supportive community. xx

P.s. as KirstieF has mentioned sometimes we can develop what is called “cording” after surgery to remove lymph nodes, but that’s normally several weeks after surgery, and as it’s only been 2 weeks since your mum’s surgery unlikely to be the cause of her discomfort. I developed cording 3-4 weeks after my second surgery to remove further lymph nodes and needed help from a physiotherapist to release the cords, which immediately helped with pain and range of arm movement. Just sharing in case that helps for future reference.

3 Likes

Hi Kirstie, thank you so much for your reply! Really reassuring and good to know about the cording and YouTube videos. Also interesting to know that you found the lymphnode surgery more painful - I think the uncomfortableness & pain has definitely shocked her!

Thanks for sharing and hope your twinges and tightness eventually subsides <3

Ella x

2 Likes

Hi TDG, thank you so much for your reply - I really appreciate it. She went and spoke to a nurse when she had her dressing changed, and they also mentioned that “not one size fits all” with the exercises (I think she was struggling with the pain when doing the exercises 3x a day), but good to know that you found the pain did reduce after time! And agree with you that she is still early days post surgery!

This community seems so lovely and helpful, and again really appreciate you reply.

Wishing you well!

1 Like

Wishing your mom all the best

If shes at all worried please get her to talk to her breast team or the nurses here

She real needs to rest, do the exercises, keep hydrated and eat whatever takes her fancy

The ache is probably normal so soon after surgery but get it checked out if it would ease anxiety

Best wishes

1 Like