"surgery clinic" and breast cancer?

Hello everyone. I’m new on the forums, but very worried.

I’m 20 years old, and because I have some family history of breast cancer (on the maternal side), I was designated as “medium risk” just over a year ago and put on a programme of annual ultrasound screenings at my local hospital. This year I went for my second annual ultrasound, and this morning I got a letter in the post from the hospital asking me to come to an appointment in May for a “surgery clinic”. This did not happen last year after my ultrasound then.

I am now absolutely terrified this means that they have found breast cancer this time around, as why would I need to go to a “surgery clinic” if not to have surgery to remove it? My questions are threefold:

What DOES it mean if you are called back to a “surgery clinic” after having had an ultrasound test?

Why am I not being told why I have to go back?

If they have found something, why have they scheduled for me to go back in May, months from now, and not much sooner so that action can be taken asap?

I am feeling very, very afraid and scared right now, and admittedly I have been crying quite a lot since getting the letter.

oo thats very weird! i would ring them and ask whats going on, say you werent aware u needed surgery.
if there was a problem with the ultrasound they should have called u back like a week later to tell you, (if they didnt say it there and then!). iv never heard of a surgery clinic, here u go to the breast screening clinic and they would tell u whats wrong, and then refer u to surgery if u needed it i guess. ask them, at least they should be able to tell u if theres a problem or not then! and ul know why on earth ur going

Hi Unigirl

Give the clinic a call just to put your mind at ease.

My son is having extensive dental work at 2 hospitals, and has had appointments at clinics that have all sorts of names! Best one was an appointment at the ‘new patient’ and another at the ‘Miscellaneous clinic’ dept when he had been going there for 4 years!

I think it’s probably nothing to worry about, but do ring them or get someone to do it for you if you are a tad nervous.

Keep us posted.

Daisy xxxxxxxxx

Hi unigirl

If you would like to talk this through with someone please don’t hesitate to give the BCC helpline a call. Here you are able to share your worries with one of out trained members of staff who will be able to offer you support and information.

The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Sturday 9am to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)