surgery for fibrocystic changes

Good evening ladies (and gents). Once again I’m a bit confused and was hoping someone could help me please…?
I had an inflammed breast which had cleared up with antibiotics. Mammogram showed density and micro calcifications. Had a core biopsy and had results on Wednesday. Consultant said all was fine as biopsy showed fibrocystic changes. As we were leaving he mentioned that the team would review my case on Friday (as is routine) and I should expect a phone call from the breast care nurse to confirm that all the team were happy.
Got the call from the breast care nurse today who said my consultant wasn’t at the meeting but it had been decided that because the biopsy showed cell changes I should have the lump removed (she said this was because I am relatively young – I’m 48 (don’t get called young very often these days!). Anyway she has given me an appointment to see my consultant next week to discuss having a lump removed or maybe regular mammograms. This has completely thrown me as it was not what I expected. I could understand it if there were ‘pre cancerous’ cells in the biopsy but I was only told there was fibrocystic changes.
Has this happened to anyone else at all? Or anyone have any idea why they would need to remove fibrocystic cells?
Thanks in advance for your help xx

Has anyone got any ideas please? I’ve been consulting with Dr Google and I can’t find any information on why fibrocystic breast tissue should be removed (with the exception of removing it if its very painful which mine isn’t at all). It just doesn’t make sense? x

Hi Silly Sue

I’m sorry to read that you are having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk this through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Thank you Sam, we popped out this afternoon so I’ve missed the helpline for today. will ring them on Monday.
Thanks again
sue x

Hi Sue
I am 48 and had a biopsy last Tuesday on a lump in my left breast that I found just over a month ago, at the moment I am waiting for my results which I will get on Thursday.
Because my consultant said that he would remove the lump whatever the results I have been convinced it must be cancer as, like you, I’ve searched the net and couldn’t find a benign condition that seemed to go with my lump due to my age as it appeared that I was to old for it to be caused by fibrocystic cells. Now reading the threads on here it appears that it is possible and my consultant has the attitude of if there is a lump take it out as it doesn’t belong and I am quite happy with that, maybe that is the same attitude your consultant has.
Of course I realise that my results could still come back positive for cancer and if the do I will deal with it and do all the treatment my doctors recommend for me but for now I feel a bit more positive that it could possibley be benign.
Good luck with your appointment this week I hope all goes well.
Chris x

Hi Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. You must be going through hell yourself at the moment too. It is the waiting and not knowing that is so hard to deal with.
I think I am finding it frustrating that twice now my consultant has said ‘everything is fine off you go’ and twice I have been called back after the ‘team’ have reviewed my case. (There was density on my mammogram which the consultant said was nothing to worry about but when the team reviewed it a week later they decided that, although it was unlikely to be cancer, I should have a biopsy to be on the safe side and called me back). I can’t help wondering what they are seeing that he is missing. It also means that I have been on this ‘roller coaster’ for 7 weeks now and I feel exhausted.
You may well be right that the team are taking the same approach as your consultant and I guess I will find out on Wednesday (the days seem to be dragging by!).
Good luck with your results and please let me know how you get on.
Thanks again.
Sue x

Hi Sue
Well I got my results yesterday and not what I hoped, got grade 3 cancer but on the positive side it’s only a cm big so they are going to remove it and look at the lymph nodes at the same time, if it hasn’t spread there then that’s good if they find it there then they are going to remove all the lymph nodes in the same op. The Dr says she doesn’t think it’s spread there yet as she can’t feel anything and the ultra sound there was clear but of course we won’t know for sure until they do the op.
So onwards and upwards lets get it out and see what stage it is. It all feels a bit unreal at the moment as though it’s happening to someone else I suppose, one minute I’m totally positive and it’s just a minor glitch and the next I think I’m going to die and want to disolve in tears I suppose this is normal!!!
All my family, friends and work are being really supportive and I’m totally going to fight this it’s not getting me I’ve got to much more to do yet.
xx

Hi Ugbug, Im so sorry you did not get the results your were hoping for :frowning: Im pretty sure the the way your feeling i completely normal and i know that i would be exactly the same if i get bad results from my tests. I wish you all the best xx

Hi Chris,
So sorry to hear that your results show that you have cancer but I’m pleased to see that you are trying to have a practical and positive approach to it all. Of course it’s perfectly normal to have times when you just break down and fear the worse after all it’s a hell of an ordeal that you have been faced with. I hope you don’t have to wait too long for the op and you can get started on the road to beating this thing!!
Wishing you lots of love and strength.
Sue xx