Surgery issues with Reconstruction after Radiation

I had my reconstruction surgery about 5 months after finishing my radiation treatments and i have been having a good amount of issues. I was just wanting to see if anyone else had these problems also as my plastic surgeon blames everything on the fact that I have had radiation and " that is how radiated tissue reacts " . I had a lumpectomy & 25 radiation treatments on my right breast in July and August 2023. I had the reconstruction surgery in Dec 2023 & till this day, I am still in a lot of pain and still have open wounds and a lot of swelling. I have tissue on my lift breast that died from no blood flow, so under my nipple is a large open wound about the size 3" x 3" and it has to be cleaned and packed twice a day. My right breast is swollen apprx, twice the size of my left one and is hard as a rock. I also have 3 separate areas on that breast that is opening up and are now oozing, The “side boob” that is under my arm pits on both side is still so swollen that i cannot put on arms down all the way.
My PS says that nothing is infected and all looks well, as I see him weekly. I have seen the ER dr and my GP twice and both have said it is cellulites. They gave me antibiotics and it seems to help with some of the swelling and pain but about a week after finishing them it all comes back, both times it seems to come back worse.
I am at the point where the pain , swelling , and oozing is all back again. I saw my PS this morning and again he said all is fine that is just the way that radiated tissues heals and its a slow process that will take 6-12 months.
Did anyone else have these issues also?

Hi @lfsdromero, I hope you are doing well today. I wonder if chatting to our breast care team would be helpful… you can reach our team on our free helpline 0808 800 6000, or post directly in our Ask our Nurses your questions board on the forum.

We’re always here to chat, at your own pace.

Sending our warmest wishes
Bernard

Hi,
Not much to add I’m afraid, only that I was told that following radiotherapy the tissues will never be the same. That the breast is set in time and won’t actually change as I get older, unlike the other one !!
Good luck I hope it improves soon for you xx