Tamoxifen and itching down below....

Sorry… delicate subject, but I have been on Tamoxifen for about 4 or 5 months now and luckily I don’t have many side effects, however the one which is driving me insane is itching down below.

I have tried Canesten which eases it, but as soon as I stop its back again. I tried Gyno Daktarin which had the same effect.

I went to the docs and had a swab done for thrush and there is nothing there.

but the itching is still there!!

I am not sure its a good idea using Canesten constantly, does anyone else have this problem, and what helps to alleviate it / get rid of it?

Thanks!
SG

I don’t suffer from the same problem with Tamoxifen but from what you’ve said it sounds like you’re getting fungal type infections if they’re clearing with Canestan or Daktarin. I believe that’s usually because the normal balance of healthy bacteria down there has been upset. The other non-chemical way to clear that is to use natural live yoghurt - insert it on a tampon.

It could just be vaginal dryness. You could try Replens or something similar.

Hi SG,

I’ve only been on Tamoxifen for 12 days and have already developed a white discharge (am 62, so haven’t had anything like that for a long time). It’s not itching tho - how long were you on Tam before you started itching?

I know I might be stating the obvious, but have you tried changing your soap/shower gel etc? If I use anything with a hint of citrus in it, I get an itch down below.

Pauline x

Thank you!! I have a few things to think about there then!

I never considered dryness - going to look up the Replens stuff and give it a try. If not then its back to the docs for another swab I guess.

Pauline, I think it was a couple of months before I started getting the itching. Before that it was hot flushes which have gone now and night-time leg cramps which come and go … maybe my side effects are just taking it in turn :wink:

Thanks all!!

Hi.
i had same problem with Tamoxifen, so bad couldn’t sleep at night. Read side effects about dryness and didn’t think it could be that as didn’t imagine that would be so distressing. However, got some ‘sylk’ lubricant (on prescription) which is a natural product and the relief was immediate. It was pure bliss. i now keep a spare bottle in my handbag too!

Joanne xx

Hi spudgirl,I have the same problem I think this is quite a common side effect for those having hormone treatment,I have read a few threads about this and they have been very helpful one piece of advice was to “not over wash down below as the natural flora will get wiped away”.I used to bath everyday but have now changed to showering everyday and bath once a week and have not had any itching for a while,but am still dry and can be sore.I also thought that I could not use oestrogen creams because my cancer was ER+ 8/8 but have since found out that it is ok to use the creams,I am due a smear in a couple of weeks so will ask about the creams.

Wishing you all the best and just wanted to let you know that your not alone.Its a blooming pain isn’t it.

melxx