Tamoxifen and Oral Theish

Hi. I have been taking Tamoxifen since March. I have started getting thrush in my tongue. Is this normal?  Do any of you have suggestions in how to treat it?

That sounds nasty. I would see my GP and get rid of it. I doubt if it is connected with tamoxifen but I am not a medic.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Seagulls

Hi @rgrove 

I just wondered if you are taking any other medications have had chemo or have been under the weather at all ? I’ve contracted oral thrush secondary to to Clenil Modulate inhaler when I had a chest infection twice the second time after doubling the dose ( advised by GP). Any Pharmacy should be able to give you something to get rid of it but certainly report it to your GP / treatment team. I’ve not heard of it secondary to Tamoxifen but I"m wondering if it could have altered the pH in your mouth / throat and made you susceptible.

Joanne x

Hello rgrove

Thanks for your message asking about whether it is normal to get oral thrush while taking tamoxifen.  

Thrush is not a listed side effect of tamoxifen. However, it can happen for different reasons and is usually easily treated. As @Seagulls and @JoanneN suggest your local pharmacist or GP can assess the area and suggest the best way to treat it. 

You may be interested in our free support services. For more details about these services please see information on the link or contact our helpline

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

You can also call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.** 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Teresa  

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.