tamoxifen and weight gain

hi all

just wondering if anyone has put on weight taking tamoxifen. i now have a pot belly, like my OH! it doesnt seem to be everywhere, ive lost the chubbiness from chemo and steroids, now its the trunk that appears to be quite solid and my clothes arent fitting me. i dont diet usually but it looks like i need to do something before my tum overtakes my boob. Theres no in and out shape its just round - with arms and legs! and a head.

angie xx

Hello Angiepops, I am also on tamoxifen and have been for the last month. While I haven’t experienced changes in weight just yet I was told that it is a widely reported side effect. My breast care nurse also explained that many women report carrying more weight around the middle tummy area and/or feeling more bloated so I am sure you are not alone.

I didn’t have chemo so can’t comment too much on that side but it’s a good sign that your body seems to have adjusted from then, in terms of your weight loss since chemo and steroids.

As your body is adjusting the remaining weight gain may only be temporary.

I don’t diet either but have increased my exercise regime in order to try to combat any weight gain. Only time will tell!.

Good luck xx

I’ve been on Tamoxifen for almost a year and have managed to lose weight. I was determined that I would take control of one thing during the whole sorry process of cancer/chemo etc so started to try to lose weight before my operations. I’ve manage to lose about a stone and a half. I followed the slimming world regime. I don’t actually attend any groups but got the low down on how it works from my sister.

I’ve also been on Herceptin.

I was taking tamoxifen for 18 months and gained nearly 2 stone, also every bone in my body ached, when I woke every morning I couldn’t walk properly, my onc decided to take me off it after I broke down crying. She then put me on anastrozole, I’ve been on that for 6 weeks and a week ago had a heavy period which lasted 4 days, I was devastated, as I’ve not had a period for over 2 years, phoned my onc and she’s told me to stop taking it, I have to have a scan now, then she’ll decide what’s next, I’m praying a don’t have to go back on tamoxifen ?

I have been on Tamoxifen for a year now and have been following the slimming World diet since September.  I have always been overweight, lost 5 stone on Slimming World 14 years ago and most of it crept back.  So far this time I have lost 1 stone 10lb, its slow but sure and I am not losing as quickly as I did last time which I think is a combination of being older and Tamoxifen but I will keep at it until I have lost the 5 stone again - I am certainly feeling much better now I am back in control of my diet.

Hi just joined the forum and seen your post. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in dec 2014 and have been on tamoxifen since July 2011 following mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. I’ve always been a fairly active person and tried to eat healthily but since the start of this journey have put on approx 2 stone, which I cannot shift…despite all my best efforts. Since the beginning of the year i’ve been following slimming world plan at home but the same 6 lbs keeps coming back. Last week I decided enough was enough and dragged myself to the classes and at weigh in this week stayed the same…no surprises there! I’m determined though that I’m not giving up…any tips/ advice would be greatly appreciated though. Jx

Hi Angiepops

I’ve been on Tamoxifen and Zoladex for a year and a half and gained 2 stone in weight. 5 weeks ago I had enough and I declared war on Tamoxifen, I’m determined to get my body back and lose weight. In 4 weeks I’ve lost 9lbs, so its is possible to lose weight on Tamoxifen. I think it was easy for me to say, ’ its the medication’ instead of really pulling all the stops out and going for it.

I’ve had to change my lifestyle, quit the couple of glasses of wine in the evening ( not easy for me) eat healthy, stop snacking in between meals and I’ve started jogging. Okay it was walking, jog, walk, jog for the first week but now I’m running 30 mins a day and its even helped my aching bones, although I felt like I’d broken my legs for the first week but then its got so much better.

I refuse to let this bloody medication’s side effects take over my life! I’m so happy its finally winter as the hot flushes are so much better