Tamoxifen & smear tests

Hi I would just like to ask if anyone is on Tamoxifen and how often you have smear tests.
I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 2 years and I was under the impression that smear tests would be annually from now on due to the risks but my doctor disagrees and says I can only have them every 5 years. I just wondered if this is just another postcode lottery kind of thing.
Thanks
Buzzy

Hi Buzzy

The Helpline might be able to help you with this. Opening hours are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Buzzy, the doc is right, they won’t change it from 5 year check ups.

Hi Buzzy, your doctor is correct, the smear test frequency won’t alter from 3 or 5 years (depending on your age) as the increase in risk is for uterine cancer not cervical cancer, and your smear tests don’t detect uterine changes. The increased risk is from ‘minute’ to ‘minute plus a little bit’ so don’t let it worry you unduly. The one thing I would say is that if you get any unexpected spotting or bleeding phone your GP straight away to get it checked out (2 week referral in England & Wales, normal referral (typically 8-12 w) in Scotland). Most uterine changes are benign and easily dealt with. Hope that helps.