Taxol weekly

I have had 2 cycles of Carboplatin and Docetaxol I had a bad reaction and had to be admitted to hospital. The onc has now changed me to a weekly dose of Taxol, one dose every 3 weeks and a week off. Can anyone let me know what the side effects are like when having it weekly and if it accumilates over the weeks.

Dear Puff Puff

Welcome to the BCC Forum. I’m sure other members will soon be along to offer some support.

It might help to talk things over with one of our Helpliners. They can offer you practical information and emotional support. The number is 0808 800 6000 and they are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

hi I had one docetaxel and ended up in hospital for 10 days ,was moved onto weekly taxol managed 8 before side effects got too much but everyones different ,bad neuropathy wobbly legs and nails falling off to name a few x

I’m a little confused by your post. Do you mean you are having 3 weekly doses followed by a week off?

I have just completed a course of 12 weekly doses of Paclitaxel (Taxol), and I didn’t get any weeks off, aside from my 10th week being delayed for a week as I had quite bad diarrhoea.y tummy was mildly upset right throughout my chemo and is just now getting back to normal.

I found the first 7-8 were quite ok. The first few cycles I occasionally had sharp, shock-like pains in my back, stomach or legs. But they were really random and momentary, so I never resorted to painkillers.

I had some mild numbness, mainly in my feet (heels and some toes). My nails started to get really painful in the last few treatments, and now I’m nearly 3 weeks post-chemo, some of my nails are definitely lifting off the nail beds, at the tips, and I keep th really short so they don’t catch. They are also odd shapes, some are quite spoon-shaped! Funky colours too!!

The fatigue effect is cummulative, and I found it worst on days 3-5, but I was never bedbound, and on my good days managed deep water workouts, walks, and rehearsing with my singing group, although I often couldn’tanage to stand and sing for the whole three hours weekly!

On the whole I found it much easier than Adriamycin/Chlorophosphamide that I was on for 4 x 3 weekly cycles to start with!

Everybody reacts differently though, so don’t expect identical se.

I had Taxol for 18 consecutive weeks with no missed weeks. Not heard of having week off. But different Patients different ways of doing chemo. I coped with the side effects but the fatigue exhausted me. Finished end of April and hair now returning but very slowly.

In 2010-2011 I was on weekly Taxol (paclitaxel). The schedule was planned to be 18 treatments - weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 etc. with no chemo on weeks 4, 8 etc. Hope this makes sense.
Unfortunately I had unusually bad side effects (more typical of docetaxel) so I had to change to a different chemo after 5 treatments. I realise this might be discouraging, but there were two small plus points (by comparison with EC chemo, which is similar to AC): no sickness, and the side effects didn’t kick in until about 3 days after each treatment.
I hope the weekly Taxol is effective for you. My onc described it as “gold standard” for secondaries, and as a “trickle-charge” dose by comparison with having a higher dose of Taxol every 3 weeks.

I managed the equivalent to 11 taxol taking the docetaxel into account (which counted as 3 taxol ) and had good results from that amount I"m now on herceptin for as long as x