Teachers ill health retirement

I went back to teaching in April 2022 after successful treatment for breast cancer.

However for some reason my asthma began to flare up and over the past 12 months I’ve been diagnosed with eosinophilic asthma, which is a severe type of asthma not managed by the usual type of asthma medication.

I spent a few days in hospital in November 2022 and was then under the respiratory team. They are not sure what has triggered this severe asthma but it could be as a result of cancer treatment, particularly radiotherapy.

I was put onto a monthly biologic injection in April but after 8 months it appears that this treatment hasn’t worked.

There are other options and they are deciding in a December MDT meeting if I can go onto another injection. I have had a great deal of time off school and my role has had to changed because of my frequent absence.

Meanwhile I’ve been struggling on Anastrozole. The usual side effects, aching joints, brain fog, low mood, irritability, dry eyes, ears etc. I’ve now been put into Exemestane to see if it makes any difference.

I’m seriously considering applying for ill health retirement. I’ll be 55 in February.

But I’m worried that it will be rejected because there are other options to treat my asthma.

I’ve dropped a day to see if it will help. It’s been hard to accept that I can’t do what I once could.

Anyway managed to secure ill health retirement from teaching?

1 Like

Hi @louby_lou69

I am so sorry to hear what you’re going through. I hope that one of the lovely people on this forum will have an experience to share with you.

Macmillan has dedicated support for issues related to work and retirement in these cases. You may find it helpful to give them a ring on 0808 808 00 00.

Wishing you all the best,
Lucy

1 Like

Louby_lou69

I was not a teacher but worked in a government related organisation. When I was in my mid 40s (I’m now 74) I developed asthma. I was offered medical retirement on the grounds that the doctors had not found a treatment that was sufficiently effective to control the asthma to enable me to do my job. I then changed my career and was able to work until I was 62. Would it be worth while contacting your union for advice. I found mine very helpful. From my recollection the organisation I worked for contacted the respiratory consultant and my GP and then had me examined by their doctor. It certainly wouldn’t do any harm to ask.

I was particularly interested in the rest of your story. I was diagnosed with grade 2A breast in January. I had the small tumour and three lymph nodes removed and then had 19 sessions of radiotherapy (15 normal and 4 boosts). There is a very small nodule showing on my left lung and at the beginning of October the respiratory consultant wanted to do a biopsy. Half way through it was aborted because there was inflammation my right lung. They have now told me that I have eosinophilic asthma. I have never heard of such a thing and have been unable to find out very much about it. I’m taking steroids at the moment but they have mentioned biologic injections. Like you, they do now know what has triggered the flare up but your mention of radiotherapy is very interesting. Luckily, I am not having many side effects from the letrazole that I’m taking.

I wish you well and hope you manage to get something sorted out to help you.

1 Like

Hi Loby Lou 69, I was a teacher for many years but now retired. Ask your union to send you all the information they have on early retirement, retiring at 55 and retiring through ill health retirement. That should help give you your options. Depending on how many years teaching you have completed will also of course affect how much you receive financially and your union should also help with that. I suggest you ring them and ask who you need to speak too. Good luck. I am thinking of you.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I’m currently off sick with a bad asthma flare up and chest infection. I’ve just finished a course of antibiotics and steroids.

I’m hoping to find out in the next couple of weeks what biologic they can put me on next.

It’s very debilitating not being able to breathe. I hope you get some answers soon too to help you

Hi have an appointment with Occupational Health on Friday that I hope can answer some of my questions.

I’m aware of what my finances would be if I went down this route and will definitely seek advice from my union if I need to support and help in the filling in if the many forms I’ll need to fill I .

Thank you