Terrified.

I am 31 with a 2 year old son. In December I noticed my left breast seemed to be a bit bigger and was twingy. I am a MASSIVE hypochondriac and was immediately convinced it was cancer. Neither my partner nor I could feel a lump and I was rationalised into thinking it was down to breastfeeding, then losing weight and putting a bit back on. In March my mum was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer 14 years after her first bought. I moved, had a miscarriage (early) in May and carried on freaking out about my boob especially since my left breast was incredibly painful during the 9 weeks of pregnancy. Yesterday I plucked up the courage to see a dr. She found a small lump which she said moved and felt like a cyst. I’m now waiting for my 2 week ultrasound and i’m SO SCARED. I’m scared that I’ve left it too long and it’s cancer and it’s spread. I can’t sleep because I wake up in a nightmare where all I can hear is a dr telling me it’s game over. How do I cope? I can’t get myself together enough to take my son out. I’m just a pathetic limp lettuce.

Hello Charlotte83

Welcome to the forums.  This must be very difficult time for you, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Charlotte,
sorry to hear you are having a bit of a time of it, but you have done the right thing getting checked out. The waiting is a nightmare, but you have to find a way to get through it, and I’m sure your son is a great distraction. i’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, and hopefully you’ll be seen sooner rather than later.
Trudy x

Hello Charlotte

No you are definitely NOT a pathetic lump lettuce,  it’s sounds like you’ve had a lot to cope with already so I’m not surprised you’re feeling like you do. I too worry about everything,  (especially mine and my families health). Like Tweedy said the waiting for appointments and results is the worse part and I personally don’t feel that anything anyone says makes me feel better. But talking on here does as people understand what you’re going through.  Please come on here whenever you need to talk as you’re not alone then. I completely understand all your thoughts and worries. 

Take care and let us know how you get on. 

Jayne xx