The new norm

Good morning ladies, I’m going through the last part of treatment now (Kadcyla) and I’m on Tamoxifen for the next five years. (I had a grade 3, Stage 1, HER2 positive) I’ve recently gone back to work and generally I’m finding it quite hard adjusting back to normal life. As good as my friends & family are, I feel as though they don’t really understand (how could they) so I guess I’m just looking for ladies that have gone through a similar journey and of a similar age to me (44) to chat to xx

5 Likes

I was 48 when diagnosed and yeah no one really gets it. They mean well but don’t understand how the fear is permanent and never really leaves. It gets better mind you but it’s not like cancer ever stops being a world changing paradigm shift. Anyway welcome! I’m so glad to hear you’re almost at the end of active treatment! I hope recovery is occurring and that you feel physically good :slight_smile:

Hi sia79

Just wanted to reach out and say I totally understand how you are feeling. I am 44 grade 3, stage 2. I finished treatment mid December and trying to get back to normal life, I plan to return to work in the next month or so but struggling. I feel that I have lost confidence, 100 things run through my mind. I tell myself if it returns I will deal with it then but easily said than done! For me it is slightly isolating I have people around me but feel alone. I hoping it will get better, people keep telling me it’s about changing my mindset, I’m trying xx

I understand what you are going through. I was diagnosed at 46. I will be 50 this year, finished all active treatment in August 2022. I was grade 3, stage 2 triple positive and had 18 months of treatment including chemo, mastectomy and targeted therapy. My life was turned upside down but I have built myself up again gradually. I now feel really pretty great. I was lucky enough to be able to have a very gradual return to work, which has helped. It has taken longer to recover psychologically than physically and I have found that friends and family were very understanding during my chemo etc, but now feel that I should be back to normal. I have to be very careful to give myself the self-care that I need to keep on an even keel - eating well, exercising and seeing friends. Looking after yourself is very important. Sending you a big hug xxx

1 Like