This weeks books

At the point in treatment of being able to read heaps… lots of people lending me books, but hoping for some inspiration to go buy…
so, as inspiration to others… books I’ve read this week with short critique!!

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
    about life in Afghanistan since conflict began. Exceptional, moving and enlightening story of 2 women who’s lives get tangled due to war. recommend!

2. Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier - story set at beg. of 19 centuary about smuggling on Exmoor. Quite entertaining. Quick read. Not keen on ‘gothic novels’ but felt I had to read a ‘modern classic’ !

Happy reading Td x

Hi waitingangel -
now that there is time, am rediscovering reading again. Went to a library book sale annd picked up:

1. Scarlet Feather - Maeve Binchy - simple story about relationships, set in Dublin, bmany interrelated stories, soap-opera ish…but nice to read and wonderful as an escape.

Emily
xxx

Hi waitingangel

What a good thread. I am reading alot more and it helps me relax.

Call the Midwife - Jennifer Worth - This is a true story about the author, working as a midwife, in the 1950s in London. It really opens your eyes on how people lived, especially in poverty areas. So much different on how we bring children into the world today.

Echo Call the Midwife by jennifer worth
read it in January… excellent social history of actually not - so - long - ago!

Not sleeping well at moment, so finding lots of time to read. My favourite author is Joy Fielding and am reading latest one called Charleys Web. Very good, as are all her books. Jodi Picoult another good read. Will remember Echo Call and see if can get from library. good thread, interesting to see recommendations. thanks
Deb x

Yes’ A Thousand Splendid Suns’ a moving, gripping, emotional read, and Khaled Hosseini’s first novel just as brilliant ‘The Kite Runner’ wonderfully and awfully moving.

Lonesome Dove., Larry McMurtry. I never thought I would read a cowy, but his descriptive character forming and insight into the wild west is a must read. He understands women too! Check out his other books in this series also.

to kill a mockingbird…

Cant remeber the author but Mummy Said The F Word will make you laugh out loud

Debs -
my last post was 'I echo the comment about ‘Call the Midwife’ — sorry about lack of punctuation. And words!!! Although ECHO Call may now well be the title of my debut novel. LOL!

Td xx

I read ‘the welsh Girl’ but felt it was a bit lacking…

rjen2 “To Kill a Mocking Bird” is my favourite book ever.

Also enjoyed although a few years old now.

The death and life of charlie cloud can’t think of author at mo think may be george lament
The secret life of bees by joanne harris
lovely bones by Alice Seabold.

Wow this is great, while I was recovering from my op I read 2 books but since finding this site have read very little. I have about 7 books people bought me so must get back into it.

The books I have read so far

1. ‘Thanks for the memories’ - Cecila Ahern, very light hearted, bit teary at the start but like most of her books a good girlie read. I have read all her books now :frowning:

2. ‘Bridget Jones’ Diary’ - have to say I was a little disappointed reading this after the film, there is a bit in the book where she refers to watching Mr Darcy on TV and drooling over Colin Firth and then talks about her Mr Darcy, who was Colin Firth in the film, maybe it would’ve been better if I hadn’t seen the films

At the moment I am reading Sex and the City, the book the TV series are based on, quite good so far as the characters haven’t exactly the same names.

“Imperial Life in the Emerald City” by Rajiv Chandrasekaran. Very dark, very comic account of how it all went wrong in Iraq.

Will also forever associate Private Eye with those hours connected to the freezing cold cap. I love books so buying now for those post-mastectomy moments (and that isn’t for some months). Sheer greed!

Highly recommend Tove Jansson’s Summer Book and A Winter Book for those who haven’t discovered them yet. Calm, odd, lovely stories. And if you’re into short stories E. Annie Proulx is hard to beat.

Oh yes - secret Life of Bees & Lovely bones - I read those one week on holiday lizzie - loved them! Bit american though…

Helen Simpson does good short storied too try ‘Three legs in a bed’

And most favorite read of last year ‘Time Travellers Wife’ by Audrey Niffenegger - absolutely fantastic, beginning to end…

why can’t I have an imagination like that??

I’ve read all Jodi Picoult and enjoyed every single one. She gets to grips with something topical and isn’t afraid to write about it.

If you want a good laugh, Marian Keyes is the woman. I’ve laughed out loud many, many times when I’ve been on my own. Try to get the ones about the Walsh family. Let’s see, Rachel’s Holiday, Anybody Out There, Angels, Watermelon, Last Chance Saloon, to name a few.

I order them online from the library and they phone when they’re in. Saved myself a fortune as I was ordering them from Amazon for awhile.

Maureen xx

for a good laugh, you can also try LIfe is Short, Wear Your Party Pants! by Loretta LaRoche…
best in audio or video although book is good too
her sense of humor and expressive voice really adds to the material

Emily
xxx

Td
sorry, my error! was not with it when posted that message and made spelling mistake!!! will look at what I write next time!!!
Will give Marian Keyes a go tho, always fancied trying one of her books.
thanks
deb x

If you like Marian Keyes you really should give Cecilia Ahern a go, similarish apparently.

This week I’ve only read one book. Don’t know why that is - must be getting better and sitting around reading less!

‘I Capture the Castle’ by Dodie Smith

• now being marketed as a ‘modern classic’ but used to be sold as a ‘teen read’ = in the 1940’s onwards. I did enjoy it once I got ito it though - I even copied some bits out…

Td x