Tiredness after rads - when does it improve?

Hi

I finished my rads just over 3 weeks ago.   I am still feeling very tired, not a ‘need of sleep tiredness’ but more of an exhausted feeling after I have been doing things.  

It’s starting to worry me as I am normally always on the go and wondered if anyone else has taken a while to get back their strength back to normal.

I did have a tooth abcess a week after finishing and then had to have the tooth out, so did wonder if this hasn’t helped me.

Jaye x

Hi Jaye, Well done on finishing your Rads! I finished mine last August 21st (after 6 months of Chemo ~3 x FEC and 3 x Tax) and even now i blame many side effects including tiredness on all  of them including the Hormone therapy i am on now for another 4 years!

Everyone laughed at me when i told them i fell asleep in the Ambulance Car (i travelled to and from Oxford for Rads each day for 3 weeks) on the way home on the 2nd day!!!

Cheers, Michele x

Hi Jaye, I finished rads 5 months ago.  I suffered terrible fatigue where it was like my batteries just ran out.  If I tried to push myself I would just end up all shakey.  That has gone now.  I am not sure when it stopped.  I still have a dip at tea time where I will go to sleep if I sit down, but it is not like the proper fatigue. Hope you soon feel better. X

Hi Jaye- I also finished my rads in January; I also had pleurisy during the first few sessions so I knew it would take me awhile to recover. I’ve been back at work for nearly 3 months part-time and I find I need to nap at least two days a week.  Proper naps (no telly) but fast ones- 30 minutes seems to do it.  Then I am up for anything.  But I do get that brown-out feeling after a day on my feet.  I read somewhere that a measure of a person’s capability is their ability to rest- that was in the context of leadership, not Cancer.  SO I have learned to regard naps as a must, not something to be ashamed of!

Hi Jaye
Congratulations on finishing rads, I’ve also finished mine last Saturday
I found that a 30 min walk in the morning makes me feel less tired by the end of the day. Is strange, because delays everything and then I am in a rush but the true is that I feel less tired
I hope you recovery soon
Xx
Paula

Hi to everyone that’s replied to me and I’ve found all of your replies helpful.

I think I am trying to push myself too much and as Freda said, I also get shakey when I do too much.

I must learn to nap if I need to which is something I never do.   I try to rest with the tv and a cuppa but I never manage to sit still for more than 10 minutes, before I am up again.

I do walk regularly as I take the dog out a couple of times a day.

I hope you are all doing well and wish you all the best

Jaye x