Tooth extraction on Denosumab

Has anyone had the above? I have to have the remains of a broken molar removed as there is a chronic infection at the base of the fractured roots. I have to stop Denosumab for three months before they will do any extraction. Is this long enough? I thought that it stayed in the system for longer?
Really worried about the ONJ risk…

Hi sweetanimo

Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences and knowledge, can I suggest you give the BCC helpline a call and talk this thorugh with a member of staff.  They are there to offer you a listening ear as well as support and information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Poor you - I have recently been through this scenario myself and endured weeks of severe toothache.  A lot of the ladis here were adament that extraction should be avoided.  It does sound unavoidable in your case - I imagine that chronic infect is a big risk to the health of your jaw, and the rest of you.  Is your dentist talking to your ONC?   In the end my dentist did not extract and I now have a very sensitive wobbly tooth which I suspect will have to come out at some point in the future.


Sorry I cannot offer any real definitive answer, just sympathy.




Thanks Jacqui!
Yes. Max Fax is talking to onc who I suspect will recommend coming off Denosumab for the three months. No pain at the moment thankfully!

Thanks for the advice Val!
Unfortunately the roots need to come out as there is more risk with the chronic infection than ONJ if I don’t have them out.

I’m due a jab on Wednesday but because max fax can’t get hold of onc she has said to go ahead with jab. I have letter from onc to GP saying if extraction needed I should come off Denosumab for three months so I’m just going to cancel jab myself otherwise this postpones the inevitable for another month! Scary stories Val but I have no choice :-((
Anne Marie!

Thanks Dawn!
Onc just called and I’m to come off Denosumab for the next three months and then wait a month after extraction at beginning of November before starting them again.